brake warning light

205man

Reaction score
the brake pad warning light has come on today on the dash display, ive had a look and the pads are worn but not on the metal yet lol

the thing is will i be able to drive it for this week ive only got to do less than 75miles, as i wont be able to change pads til next weekend, unless i get time tomorrow

also as they are worn im going to change rear ones as i knew they were getting low, but im wondering if i might well upgrade discs and pads together.

any reccomendations as to what make to go for?, also is there a way of going bigger without having to rob a bank to pay for them

alan

there's loads of stories about big brakes if you search through them, i think but dont quote me, the bigger diameter discs off an A6 or A8 will fit if you use the caliper brackets off a tt or S3, you keep your original calipers and use the same brake pads! the problem is getting the caliper brackets (gsf or eurocarparts may help in getting these but they not cheap apparently?)

the discs are about twice the standard A4 discs price for an extra25mm in total diameter.

i have thought abaout doing this mod myself but i'm still unsure!

you should be able to plod on with your pads for 100 miles or so, try to leave an extra bit of distance between you and the car infront just incase!

usually when the light comes on the pad will still have 2 or 3 mm of wear left on them.

i have tried all types of pads over the 4 yrs with my A4 but the best i have had to date were Lockheed Delphi from andrew pages, cost about £30 for the fronts but are good pads, mintex are rubbish and squeel all the time, also fade quickly (not good) and make load of dust on the wheels!

P

ive found the caliper mounts from vag parts for £98, but was unsure which discs i should be looking for.

im also wondering which pads to get, i had thought about sticking with ebc greenstuff, unless someone has any better ones

alan

Audi quote 1000 miles from the point the pad warning light comes on, the stealers said 800 to be on the safe side. So 75 miles should be no bother at all.

is there a way of turning the light of now i know, i means its going to do my head in all week if i have to wait that long

alan

Not as far as I know, if you turn it off it will just keep showing again I think.

cheers sinny

anyone know how much the stealers would charge for pads front and rear?

or shal i just get some from hellfrauds if i dont go bigger? i have seen some omp ones on ebay for sale, but dont want to be waiting weeks for them

alan

For a B6 1.9TDi my front pads were £75 I think and the rear's about £45.

ok i may as well go for some ebc stuff or something for that price, but ill ring them on monday for a laugh anyway

alan

you can unplug the pad sensor wires and join them together (car loom end) tempoary alan that should put the light out. have to do both sides though as you wont know which side has triggered the warning.

drove the car this morning and the light/warning beep came on as soon as i moved away, but then went to fill up with fuel and it didnt come back on when i started up again, been alright all day until tonight when i get home then the light comes on again when i park on the drive??????????????

****** cars

alan

sounds like you might have a dodgy plug then, have you actually looked to see whether the pads are worn?

my nearside plug had been butchered at some point and i got the warning even though the pads were well up. i just tie-wrapped it together to make a good contact, not come back on.

yes ive had a look and there is about 5-6mm left on the front pads, so probaly are getting to that point of needing to be replaced.

alan