2.6 quattro sport

Fluid36

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've found myself a 1996 a4 2.6 quattro sport in excellent condition. The car has done 127000 miles which I assume is acceptable and has extras such as adjustable suspension, 18 rs4 alloys and a performance exhaust. The guy wants £2100 for it.

My question is, are these engines at 150bhp simply too gutless (I've owned some pretty decent performing cars in the past but just want this as a cruiser really) or do they go ok. I know they're only 12 valve etc and I'd expect to loose a bit more power through the 4 wheel drive drive train but was wanting a bit of feedback on people who own or have driven these.

cheers

Hi Mate,
I had a FWD one for about 6 years. Firstly the mileage shouldn't be a problem as mine was running great with 170k on the clock when I wrote it off.
I always thought the engine seemed more than 150bhp but I never got it dynoed. It put an induction kit and de-catted it and that seemed to really open up the engine.
Not the fastest car in the world but great as a cruiser if that's what you want.

Hi Fluid, i have owned a 2.6 quattro for 4 yrs now and to be honest it's a little underpowered for trying to keep up with tuned 1.8 turbo versions and obv. the 2.8s and S4's. there is no comparison with these but it's ****** good fun!!

the milage is nowt to worry about as long as it has been serviced regulary, the price is good also!

the only bad points of the car i have found is that there appears to be no performance gains from this engine unless you have the equivalent of $5000 to get a supercharger for it which would add another 75 bhp or so!!! not cheap! if you feel you might want to tune it in the future buy a 1.8 turbo version, although these seem to command higher prices!

good points: handle well, feel nice and comfy, excellent motorway mile clocker, not too greedy on fuel (expect 25 to 35 mpg!) very easy to drive and sound good amongst others.

i have been very happy with mine and every now and again i fall in love with it all over again (not in a sexual way and usually after i have done another little mod to it)

good luck with it mate, Oh and welcome to AUDI SPORT.NET!!!

PAUL.

1300 quid if you are interested. its on ebay now a silver one , it has high milage but full sevice history , dealer up to about 120 i think

I own one at the moment, had it about 6 months. All of the above really. It's a very dull engine really unless you get it above 3K revs. From everything I've read, there's no mods to be done on this engine apart from SC but if you really do just want a mile munching cruiser then this is the engine for you.
I'm sort of considering a 20v 7a engine swap at the moment.
bigalk said:
I put an induction kit and de-catted it and that seemed to really open up the engine.
I've never seen an induction kit for a 2.6, any details?

Good luck anyway matey.

Si.

i like the audi v6 engines, mine has been great. they are not easy to tune but are nice and smooth. ideal for fast cruising or lazy driving. ive just been away in mine and it was such a nice car to drive long distances, 2900rpm @ 100mph!
its not too quick around town but once its up to 60mph+ its quite fast and enjoyable to drive.

Hi Guys and thanks for the feedback

I think I will prob go for this car as its such a nice example and I dont have plans to do any mods at this stage. Obviously there are a few 2.8s and turbos around in the price bracket but they are generally a bit rougher in co ndition and stock standard as well

cheers

I had the option to buy a 1.8T but chose a V6 as i do a lot of motorway driving i've had it converted to run on LPG as well , the engine is perfect for how i use the car and like your man above fall in love with it every time i do a little mod !

NineNails said:
I've never seen an induction kit for a 2.6, any details?

Si.

K&N do one (57i kit i think) although it'll make very little difference as far as performance goes. maybe 2% increase in bhp etc. might improve the V6 growl though?

Go for it FLUID!! you'll love it!

mckay: :icon_thumright:, what's it like on lpg? any difference in torque, power?

Fluid36 said:
I dont have plans to do any mods at this stage

Neither did I until I found this ****** place! Sounds like a nice car fella. If it's what you want and the price is right, go for it.

scrupes said:
K&N do one (57i kit i think) although it'll make very little difference as far as performance goes. maybe 2% increase in bhp etc. might improve the V6 growl though?

Go for it FLUID!! you'll love it!

mckay: :icon_thumright:, what's it like on lpg? any difference in torque, power?
there isnt any noticeable difference running on gas i've fitted a K&N and am considering designing a cold air feed. I'll be decatting it and remapping it soon just to see what gains are possible, watch this space !

Thanks again for the replies

looks like I'll be picking it up in the weekend so will post some pics up next week - I'm sure ill love it......

140mph,34mpg,new suspension,new tyres,leather interior etc check it out in classifieds,looking for quick sale.

I have a 2.8 (Take a look in my Gallery) But in some ways it would have been better to go for a 1.8T and when your talking the 150hp of the 2.6 i'd defo go the 1.8T route. If you get it tuned you can hit 200 easy. Although i doubt the engine would last as long as it's bigger brothers.

Thanks for the offer mate but am not a huge fan of red on an a4, very nice car though and seems a very good price as well.

there was an article on audiworld about vortrag motorsport. they had a 12v v6 a4 with loads of mods. custom ported heads and inlet, schrick cams, k+n, manifolds, exhaust etc. plus loads of body mods. so its not all bad!
as for me i'd be buying these!

G2SC_1.jpg

dc_1.jpg

I made my own induction kit with bits of info I picked up over on the 12v develoment pages on audiworld.com. It was basically 2x 3" 90° elbows, about 16" of 3" alloy pipe a few jubilee clips and a cone filter. You then dump the stock plenum chamber and airbox. Along with the de-cat this really made a difference on my car.