bent valves!

shufti

Reaction score
I've just had a new cam belt fitted on my 1996 a4 1.9tdi (110 bhp) and now the ****** thing starts but is missfiring.

audi have put the compression machine on it and valve 2 is showing no or very little compression, the others seem ok.

has anyone had any experience with this and can give me an idea how much I should be paying to put it right? obviously not from the main stealers as i'm on a budget and the car is going to be sold once up and running.

cheers

when you say "just" what do you mean? did it do this when you picked it up? did you fit the belt yourself? if this is down to someone else they need to pay for the repair.

the compression test is pretty solid, but you should check to see if they did a wet test. compression can be let down by one of three things.
poor valve seal
poor ring seal
blown gasket

(or a ****** great hole in the piston crown from too much boost and not enough cooling/fuel!!)

lets rule out the gasket at the moment.
leaves you with valves or rings,
whilst unlikely it is easier to confirm the valve is the problem with a test than it is ripping the head off.

I know of a Peugot deisel that had low antifreeze, water almost froze one night, starting up and the timing.ancillaries belt jumped a number of teeth as the water pump was frozen and it bent every valve in the head. Old car, write off!

quote for this kind of job depend on the extent of the damage.
Valves themselves are cheap, you could be looking at piston damage, valve guide damage, valve seat, pieces coming off and damaging the bore... you name it.
You will never know until the head is off.
Damage could be as little as a new valve and a refit. That could be £350-500 if you shop around.
could be a lot more to get it right.

Have a look round the breakers yard for crash damaged 96 tdi, engine swap could be a lot less pain, £300-400 for a good one, £100 to fit and tart up.
You could still get your old one fixed and sell on as a recon if you want some money back