Speaker upgrade........

Moynas A4

Reaction score
Hello

Ive just replaced my concert headunit for a pioneer avic x1 unit (couldnt put up with volume crazyness anymore)

Seems that the pioneer is to powerful for my front speakers, they've developed a vibrating sound....... can they be easily changed??

Also done a seach to see what size they are but cant find anything!!

Any help will be cool!!​

I think they're 4" woofers/mid and 1" tweeters as standard but you can fit 5.25" (17cm) at a pinch. You'll need adapter rings for the woofers/mids to fit the 17cm ones - not too expensive though. Only problem is, as they're mounted on the doorcards, the sound isn't too great. I've actually put some silicone sealant around the woofer mountings and it's improved the sound quite a bit. I've not tried to get sound off quality though!!

I normally go to www.bassjunkies.com as you can select your car and it tells you what speakers fit. But i wouldn't buy from them as they are expensive. i changed my head unit and i get the same thing with my front speakers but haven't got round to changing them. are you back speakers working because i had to rewire mine as it had a little amp for the back speakers which i ended up taking out as it would make them cut out at the slightest hint of bass as the head unit was too powerful for it. but it works ok now but i do need to upgrade my speakers at some point

Thanks fo the replys, I got an autoleads harness that i plugged into the pioneer wires! once i hooked up the remote wire to the unit the rears worked ok!!

Seems to be just the fronts that vibrate and sound poor!!

I uprated mine with a set of jbl 5.25 components and fade slightly to the rear.

Standard speakers are only paper so they don't last long.

Many people recommended the rainbow 235slx deluxe components which I had fitted and they do sound great running off my amp.

Be warned though, you cant really put any bass through the front speakers as the mounting point is not solid enough. I have mine running off an amp in the boot with the crossover freq at about 80 I think

sorry to bring this back to life, but thought i would ask on here rather than starting a new thread!

I'm changing my full stereo system. i have bought 4" + 1" front speakers, do i need any adapters or brackets? i have the single concert stereo at present (the wide one and i have the blanking plates for this...). Bog standard with CD changer that is being removed!

Going to install amp, subwoofer and 6 x 9s in rear, but will be running new cables for this anyway. i have no issues with the rear, just not sure about the front as i've read several different things and all are unclear...

Yes you need adapters for any sort of aftermarket speakers. The plastic ones are readily available but be warned they're pretty feeble and they don't fit very well, so will probably need silicone, or better still use them as a template and make your own from MDF. This at least means they fit properly and also give the speaker something slightly more robust to kick against. As already mentioned regardless of what you fit you can't get any decent mid bass from them without rebuilding the door cards.
How are you planning on fitting 6x9's in the rear? The stock units are only 6.5" coaxials

having them done by someone who can! not a job i'm willing to do on my own, plus doing the front will save me £35. i believe they will be cut out for the rear and connected to the amp. Unless you have any hints and tips...

They are also fitting the head unit, amp and subwoofer. just realised, is the standard wiring ISO compliant or do i need a convertor?

I have all active speakers according to the spec list is it even worth changing them can they still run off the existing amps or is at replace the lot job?

The standard power wiring is on an ISO connector, but you'll have to swap over the perm live and ignition on live as Audi wire them back to front.
Why would you fit 6x9's in any car? let alone one that only has holes for 6.5 inchers. They are generally regarded as the worst shape speaker for sound quality.
The rear shelf is made of sheet steel so I wouldn't recommend cutting it, just get some 6.5" coaxials.
Markey, unless you have Bose, then only the rear speakers are active the fronts run off the head unit.

cheers bud, will go back to the shop tomorrow and change the speakers and get the front brackets!

I take it i just run new cable from sub-woofer amp (its bridged) to the new 6.5 rears? or will it be enough connecting to original wiring? (sorry, cars are not my thing! PCs yes, cars i do little to no work by myself!)

Oh, one final thing... dont really wanna run the amp power cable the length of the car to the battery. is there a more local / near power source? (would the original CD Changer have power?) since no cutting am gonna get my mate to do it, not professional, but competent!

There is no original wiring, the stock amp is bolted to the left speaker and no you have to run new power. There is nothing in the car that has a spare 30-40amps that you can use, especially not a CD changer which uses about half an amp (if that).

ok, cheers! so its a start from scratch then!

can i just bring it round to yours? would be a lot easier!! :p:

AndyMac said:
Yes you need adapters for any sort of aftermarket speakers. The plastic ones are readily available but be warned they're pretty feeble and they don't fit very well, so will probably need silicone, or better still use them as a template and make your own from MDF. This at least means they fit properly and also give the speaker something slightly more robust to kick against. As already mentioned regardless of what you fit you can't get any decent mid bass from them without rebuilding the door cards.
How are you planning on fitting 6x9's in the rear? The stock units are only 6.5" coaxials

I would pay "fair" money to have this done for me... my fronts could really do with better mounting. You got the time Andy?

ZeroK66 said:
I would pay "fair" money to have this done for me... my fronts could really do with better mounting. You got the time Andy?
Was gonna offer but saw that you live in devon.
the A4 is not hard to do you just need a jigsaw and a little time, but the a3's are buggers as you have to mount on the door card. the a4 you mount to the actual door and if you dynamat the door and seal everything nicely they sound great.

If i am swapping in aftermarket 6.5" in the rear can i not connect them to them existing wiring? Has anyone mounted a better sub in place of the terrible one that audi appear to have got from Fisherprice and shoved in my rear arch? Thanks

Put a 10" in an enclosure and velcro it to the boot carpet, you should notice some serious improvement (plus an amp of course)

A4Quattro said:
Put a 10" in an enclosure and velcro it to the boot carpet, you should notice some serious improvement (plus an amp of course)

and remove the reat speakers to allow more bass into the cabin, espically on the sealed boot a4's.

custom door pods is THE way forward :D