Trbo is dead

PhilR

One Ate Tea
Reaction score
Well im sick as a chip, bearing gave up bigstyle on my turbo (little k03) last night.

As some may remember i had a problem with the actuator on my cars original turbo (didnt know it was the actuator till i took it off else i would have bought a replacement one) so i bought a supposed low mileage turbo from a breaker fitted it about 6 months ago and all was well till it started whistleing on the way home last night, i knew what was up so tried to keep revs down to just get home (which was no more than 2 miles) and investigate. Unfortunately rounnd the corner from home the bearing must have given up completely and started ratteling like hell so i shut it off and got towed home.

I had a look when the car had cooled, whipped of the airbox and intake pipe and was "pleased" that i found something wrong with the turbo.
I took the turbo off when the car had cooled, luckily all of the turbine wheels are intact but you can pull them back and forth in the housing by about 6mm

So im carless till a new actuator arrives and then i can put my old turbo back on which i know has only done 40K, moral of the story buy a v6 !

anyone know how to edit the thread title, i cant spell turbo lol

Nightmare phil, think you should go fr one of the ATP eliminator range maybe a GT28R???

You deffo gonna fit the old one back on? If mine ever goes I am deffo gonna uprate it.

I have considered it and Id love to go big turbo with an eliminator but i cant justify the £1000 for the turbo and injectors + £500 remap and weeks of waiting for it to come from the states at the minute.

I need my car to get to work so any downtime is a pain plus i need it to be reliable "cough haha" so standard equipment is the way to go for me !

Guess im taking the easiest and cheapest option, but to be honest fitting the turbo is easy and id rather buy a big setup when i want it rather than being forced to buy one by mechanical failure

You dont need a remap staright away fella if you fit a Manual boost controller, and set it up on the rolling road you can regulate the boost via the controller.

My mate is running one on his fiat coupe hes not remapped but is running 0.9bar boost, (base boost) regulating it using a manual boost controller, with the same set up but with a t28 hybrid he was running 1.5 bar boost and getting 252BHP, with base boost on the GT28r hes getting 302BHP, its to do with the boost delivery and spool up.

I've binned the IHI turbo and had & got hold of a T28 hybrid, gonna fit that and fit a manual boost controller, think Billy Bravo has fitted one too. Also fitting an air fuel ratio meter with my boost gauge to keep an eye on it

chris

cool, i will definatley be going down the big turbo route when it becomes a second car in a year or so. I would just stump up for the remap though as id rather have a turnkey car from the offset. Those eliminators are a cool bit of kit though i would definatley add the high flow atp manifold as the std one must be so restrictive due to its size

The gains you mate is seeing will be down to the turbo being able to flow more capacity (cfm) at a given pressure. as you say this could cause lean running and needs to be monitored carefully.

Oh nightmare fella, at least you still have your original!
I would argue woth the moral - don't trust breakers when they say "came from a low miler" - bull$hit! funny how most cars are over 100k these days after 5 years old, but all the ones that get broken are all about 60k conveniently.

More to the point of turbo's, I need to tweak my actuator, but it looks a bitch to get up in there to do it. Any tips? How far do I need to strip it down to get in there? I'm not going silly before anyone asks, but I have had the car over a year and it is slowly losing grunt. It was Revo'd over 2 years ago and the actuator spring is obviously weaking with age. I just want to wind it in slightly to get some lost boost back.

Mine is losing grunt to dude but its goin for full service shrotly including gettin the intercooler off and the oil emptied out, and new plugs in.

looking at a manual boost controller too

JayB5UK said:
More to the point of turbo's, I need to tweak my actuator, but it looks a bitch to get up in there to do it. Any tips? How far do I need to strip it down to get in there? I'm not going silly before anyone asks, but I have had the car over a year and it is slowly losing grunt. It was Revo'd over 2 years ago and the actuator spring is obviously weaking with age. I just want to wind it in slightly to get some lost boost back.

you will need to take the turbo off completely to get to the actuator, there isnt really any adjustmaent you can do to overcome a weak spring, the only adjustment is on the arm and is to to keep the wastegate shut under the springs tension, weak spring will mean the exhaust gasses are forcing the actuator "penny valve" open. The actuator on my now dead one feels a bit weak, if it starts to blow open this can cause overspeeding and death of the turbo as it will take a higher impellor rpm to make the 14psi the ecu is looking for

14psi is that the boost for the standard ecu settings???

PhilR said:
the only adjustment is on the arm and is to to keep the wastegate shut under the springs tension

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Don't know for sure it's gone weak, but after having plenty of other turbo's it feels like it is. Not really up for taking the unit off just for a tweak, it ain't slow by any means so I think i'll leave it as it is. ****** germans!

thats it over engineered lol, its not worth bothering particularly as you are selling it anyway. I love how audi or borgwarner wont supply an actuator alone they only sell the whole turbo unit, considering it comes off with 4 bolts its rediculous

~7 psi is standard boost biglockie

PhilR said:
thats it over engineered lol, its not worth bothering particularly as you are selling it anyway. I love how audi or borgwarner wont supply an actuator alone they only sell the whole turbo unit, considering it comes off with 4 bolts its rediculous

Yeah exactly, although it is only for sale on here, for the mo. I've got a few little things left to do to it, but now I have started sorting it out, I am loving it all over again. It does drive really well. Hope I can find a decent Avant to replace it.

i think, and i'm only putting 2 and 2 together here, but the reason they don't sell the actuators seperately is they are all set up individually to the specific turbo they are fitted to. i read in the audi self study program that even master techs arn't allowed to adjust them.

i would guess it's all down to the slight variations between turbos