97' A4 1.8SE ... Glups!

A4NA18

Reaction score
Hello Lads,

I am fairly new to the world of Audi and totally new on this forum!

I just got a black 97' A4 1.8 SE, all stock and in fairly mint cond. with 84k on the counter.

I have few (well in fact many) questions about my new mount:

- I wanted to know WHAT to do if I wanted to gain more power on the ride as 125bhp is a bit sad...

- If it was complicated to replace the original springs by the OEM sport one sold at gsf

- If someone knows a good trimmer or a place where I could find some seat cover specially made for the A4 b5

- How much would a 80k check up cost and what should be done at this stage.

Thanks all for your comments!

First thing i would check is if it has had the timing belt replaced if you are up to 80k miles.

As the car is N/A it wont see the power gains that the 1.8 T would see.

If your replacing springs for the sports springs i would get shocks as well. You could look into an aftermarket spring and shocks set as you would be surprised that they can work out cheaper.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/

They do alot of tuning products for Audi's. DPM on this forum runs/works for a tuning company you could PM him for some more info on what would be best for your car.

Nice car spec, as above double check the timing belt was done. There really aren't many ways to get more from these engines unless you swap for a 1.8t like i am. filters and exhaust release next to nothing,and chipping is expensive for a few more bhp,sorry.

Put decent suspension on her and enjoy not slowing down for corners mate

finding a 1.8T engine would be the best thing really, once you have that in there you can do loads to it. unfortunatly it may end up costing more than just buying a 1.8T car. all depends how much of the work you could do yourself really. its pointless buying bits for yours until you have decided wether to change the engine though. i have the same prob with the v6, only way to tune it is a supercharger but that costs more than just buying an audi s4. a nice suspension set up and brakes will help you carry more speed though - making you quicker A-B.

also keep a look out on ebay for a leather interior, they come up fairly often lately!

Thank you all for your nice answers. I am really surprised how this forum is so nice to new comers. Anyway thanks all for your answers! Well, I have to be honest, I am soooo regretting not getting a 1.8T instead... But whatever, I might get the coilover kit that you all recommended. I might also go for a projector headlights and updated look tail lights. I also wanna go for a rs4 replica wheels in 18'. That should arrange the handling for a more aggresive driving... Not that I recommend that tho... lol

As for the cost of a 80k service including the timing belt change, any idea? Cambelt=timing belt? What the hell I'm getting all lost with those belts.

Thanks mateys for you help!

Coilovers is the best thing i did, with a sport anti roll bar. Better IMO than shocks and springs for ride and handling. I have FK's and 225 x 40 x 18inch tyres, they offer plenty of grip, with a small compromise in comfort

Welcome to the forum. My first A4 was a B5 1.8, and like you, I thought afterwards maybe I should have got a 1.8T, but power & speed aren't the be all and end all. It's not really a performance car anyway, more of a classy, stylish up-market saloon. Mine was an 18 months old & like showroom condition so I didn't rush to change, but spent a couple of years getting to know the things I liked and disliked about it. Then, when I had a few quid stashed away, I went out & found a 2.8 Quattro that was near identical to look at, but a transformation to drive.

A4NA18 said:
Thank you all for your nice answers. I am really surprised how this forum is so nice to new comers. Anyway thanks all for your answers! Well, I have to be honest, I am soooo regretting not getting a 1.8T instead... But whatever, I might get the coilover kit that you all recommended. I might also go for a projector headlights and updated look tail lights. I also wanna go for a rs4 replica wheels in 18'. That should arrange the handling for a more aggresive driving... Not that I recommend that tho... lol

As for the cost of a 80k service including the timing belt change, any idea? Cambelt=timing belt? What the hell I'm getting all lost with those belts.

Thanks mateys for you help!

You may be a couple of hundered quid out. But better then have a car with a goosed engine.

If you look at my previous posts New Headlights and 18s are on you will see what new style headlamps and decent wheels can do for a car.

i would have a water pump and the idler pulleys changed when you do the cambelt. it makes sense as the whole front needs to come off, many broken cambelts are caused by seized pulleys and failed waterpumps.

Thanks all for your replies!

I have booked the MOT+servicing next tuesday... We'll see how it's gonna be.
I'm currently thinking about changing the springs first and keep the rest stock. I would want to buy the Eibach sportline but is it ok with the stock dampers and all? Also I have found a website with many wheels: rochfordtyres.com
Are they good? Have somebody tried them?

I am seriously thinking about upgrading to a 1.8T but 2004 reg. Newer, more power... but would need ££££!!!!... so for the mo I'm gonna play around with my sob sob 125bhp A4 B5!

i fitted just springs on my a4 tdi and it ruined the car. it was under damped, bottomed out a lot and bounced up and down all the time. within a month the rear shocks were leaking oil too. car had done about 60k so suspension was in good nik until i fitted the springs. same happened in my old audi 90 quattro too after fitting just springs. i would definatly get springs+shocks mate.

WoW! Thanks for the advice SteveS! Good God, I was really about to click "purchase now" button! Ok I will go for a set of springs and shocks because coilovers a bit too expensive for the mo....

Cheeerrrio!

its worth getting shocks too, especially if you are trying to improve the handling. lowered springs made my tdi look brilliant but it didnt handle very well so it made it slower really. i was going to fit coilovers + a big brake conversion to my 2.8q so i could carry more speed through the bends and brake later in an effort to make it quicker but ive decided to buy an rs4 now so no point in throwing any more cash at it.

Hello Lads,

Got the car to the MOT+servicing and it cost 220 quids WITHOUT the timing belt. The guy said it would cost 200 more if I wanted to do it...

So got all the filters changed and oil + lube...

BUT I really want/need/have to change this flippin timing belt... And I am quite skint. So Do you think it is hard to change a timing belt? Where could I find a tutorial and where could I find the part I need? Sorry I know they are all newbie questions...

Thank you in advance for your help mateys!

if you arent up on automotive diy then dont even attempt this! i am quite mechanically minded and will try most things but i would rather get a timing belt done by a garage. for the sake of £200! it's not worth getting it wrong and costing a fortune to get fixed!!
i think i'm right in saying the haynes manual will have this procedure in and the parts will be easily obtained at a decent motor factors like Andrew Page or Pratco.

Hello Lads,

Just got my car back from the garage. Got the timing belt and the tensioner replaced for £ 368.00.

BUT some strange points:

- The guy said that he could not find the same tensioner as the one before. So he had to pick a Audi stock tensioner which is apparently the new version for the B5.... What does that mean?
- The timing belt got replaced and the change I spontanously noticed is the idle rpm which became a lot stable around 900rpm. The gas pedal is a lot responsive too.

BUT BUT BUT!!!

- when I run in a very slow speed / small maneuvre to park the car / in the first or rear gear, there is a very very annoying cracking/shaking/crumbling noise from the front of the car. What the heck is it???? Really worried because it is not the same type of noise/shaking that the car would do before stalling for instance. I tried intentionally to stall and then the car would not start again if I didn't press the gas pedal a little bit...

Second point, the car exhaust is guching out water. Normal?! I just hope it's condensation which was stuck in the exhaust which also makes this white smoke...

Well all in all the engine response is better than before but I am really worried about these points. Anybody could reassure me?

Appreciate your help.