Injector cleaning..

JayB5UK

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bothered to have this done? Have heard good things about the results it gives, smoother running, better MPG, not to mention more power.
Wondered if anyone had actually ever bothered having it done?

How do you go about this. Along the lines of a Redex treatment or something, or do you physically have them removed?

They are physically removed and sonically cleaned, prices start at £20 per injector. You can also get them uprated to provide more flow so with a remap/tubro/fmic = more power.

I am assuming that using a £5 Redex treatment is completley useless?

Beerzo, I have used this and felt a slight difference, but getting it done by the pro's costs a bit but is sposed to yield good results, especially on a 100k mile car!
Some places will do the lot for you, or some prefer removal and supplying them with the injectors alone.
Instead of spending money on things like N75's for a 1.8T I would be interested to see what this would do to the car. If I back-track and keep mine, I will get this done.

Yeah would be good to get the car rr'd before and after. TBH I think it would prob be good results. As parts get worn after a good millage. Mines just passed 80K so just getting some niggles sorted before I start on the engine.

Exactly, good to get them done, reset the ECU and let it settle, prob costs less than a new back box and better for the engine and restore some of the missing power.

Much would a new set of injectors cost?

OOh I like that idea! you sure it would be ok for injectors and the like? seen as the cleaner uses water and the inj's are an electronic component?

yup the injectors arnt cheap i had to buy one last year and i couldnt find a second hand one anywhere i think mine was about 110 from a motorfactors as audi wanted a whole lot more plus a week shipping i had to wait 3 days for it in the end :(

I had the injectors cleaned on my old VR6 (6 new injectors not an option @ £100+ each!), got a before and after flow analysis, car ran much smoother and lost a big flat spot to boot. Cost just over a ton for all 6.
Perfect prep for the following MRC remap!
Will be following the same process with the B5 once my lambda and boost gauges are wired up.

I think I'll have to give that a try, I've always had a flatspot (almost a missfire) at around 2500 rpm so maybe it'll eradicate that?

Dave: where do you get the new seals? obv. apart from the dealers

Anyone know how to remove the injectors properly? I would think my crowbar is a no-no! ie. screw out /off or pull out?

sorry peeps I'm not up on modern mechanics, i used to pee about with old fords and minis, but i never messed much with me quattro, always had a fear of breaking it!

I bought a haynes manual to read up on a few things. did it have the quattro system.... no! the v6 engines?...again NO!! ****** waste of £15 that was!

i got mine from andrew pages so i'd guess most parts factors would have them. AFAIK they're just viton "O" rings so places like BSL Bramah should be able to get them. after searching the parts lists it looks like most cars (4 and 6 cylinder) use the same one, 7.52 x 3.53mm, you need two per injector

took the injectors out of my 1.8t,easy job 20mins,took them to the lab in work into sonic bath for 2 hours,very little change in solution colour,so no real muck in there,no difference in performance-112000 miles.

Beerzo said:
I am assuming that using a £5 Redex treatment is completley useless?

Completely Useless and if you read your Audi manual it warns you not to use any cleaning products in your fuel, it also warns you to try and use fuel that has minimum cleaning additives.

Before I got my moms A4 1.8T S her b/f used a cleaning additive and the car ran real sluggish for over a month until tank was free of it.

Turbo Lag FTW said:
Completely Useless and if you read your Audi manual it warns you not to use any cleaning products in your fuel, it also warns you to try and use fuel that has minimum cleaning additives.

Really Audi actualy sell there own Approved product to use, this was recommend and sold by the dealers for years

So no V power, or Super Plus then as they have cleaning products in them!

Before I got my moms A4 1.8T S her b/f used a cleaning additive and the car ran real sluggish for over a month until tank was free of it.

I have used injector cleaner for years and recommend it to people who do very small trips when they have running issue and the cleaner 9 out of 10 times works and dose the trick.

TVR Centre ran 2 identical demos years ago one with cleaner and one with out the results were amazing, the head on the with the cleaner was perfect when the other head was being to coke up around the valves.

marmite said:
Really Audi actualy sell there own Approved product to use, this was recommend and sold by the dealers for years

So no V power, or Super Plus then as they have cleaning products in them!

I have used injector cleaner for years and recommend it to people who do very small trips when they have running issue and the cleaner 9 out of 10 times works and dose the trick.

TVR Centre ran 2 identical demos years ago one with cleaner and one with out the results were amazing, the head on the with the cleaner was perfect when the other head was being to coke up around the valves.

I agree, have used it in mine a while back and just got hold of the VAG stuff which i'm going to stick through at the weekend. Not sure if i'm a victim of Tesco or not, but mine is feeling a bit slow at the mo on their 99RON.

I used some stuff called greased lightning (**** name i know) before and found it to be pretty good.

Got it off the net.

Soupie69uk said:
So you recommend the VAG stuff Marmite? Or would using V power just be fine?

You used it on your RS6 and noticed a difference?

The VAG stuff is good and from memory they also use Wurth stuff, speak to your local dealer!
I run STP stuff red bottle from memory too

I use 99 Tesco's Fuel and the RS loves it, I did 3 tanks of V Power and she went the same to be 100% honest

For some reason my mrs filled it up...never normaly happens she dosn't even fill her own car up..but she filled it with some Total budget 10p litre crap 80 Octane stuff....I noticed that crap running through my car!!!