no heater fan! but working again??

fil

Reaction score
right, 99 s4

just drove to work last night, all the controls work on the module, but theres no blower fan running?

when the cars at idle, and you turn the heater on the engine picks up, but no fan?

now it didnt work on the way to work and home last night, go out now and straight away it works?

have vag com,

any ideas, solutions, ideas people?

Almost definately need a new blower. This is a common fault on B5's as the brushes on the blower motor wear out, which is why it'll sometimes work/not work.
It's easily replaced, do a search on ebay for Valeo Blower. The part number you need is 8D2 820 021.
This is for climate control equipped cars which I imagine your S4 is.
There was a guy on ebay selling just the brushes, which is actually all you need if you're handy with a soldering iron, but a brand new OEM blower should be about £80 (as opposed to the £300 from Audi).
This guys got a load for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-AUDI-HEATE...oryZ9889QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Fitting is dead easy, just remove the glovebox and you'll see the blower directly behind it. You have to remove a metal bracket above it which is in the way, then just unplug it and remove the screws and pull the old unit out.
More info here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=19103&highlight=blower

nice one, had the fan pointed out allready, but then when it started working again, was a bit miffed?

cheers for clearing that up, being intermitent and all that!

Yeah mine was intermittant to start with, then it packed up altogether.
I actually dismantled it and cleaned it up and extended the springs on the brushes. This fixed it but only lasted a month and this was in the summer with black leather seats and no aircon. At the time there was no-one selling OEM units at less then £180. In the end I had to just fork out for a new one.