Crank - flywheel info needed

jcb

Reaction score
Does anyone know (i.e. actually seen) the bolt pattern for RS4/S4 crank to flywheel compared to that of a 1.8t crank to flywheel?

Is there any reason I couldn't use an RS4 clutch and (if needed) Flywheel on a 1.8t? both B5 chassis, both inline,

I can;t think of one off hand but thought I would seek some advice.
I want an uprated clutch with as close to OEM feel as posisble.
RS4 is rated up to 400+lb/ft which is more than enough for me and will keep the dual mass OEM unit.

any help would be great

i'm only guessing they are different as i thought ecs tuning say they modify the flywheel to take a s4 or rs4 clutch, is the s4/rs4 flywheel bigger diameter?

i think rs4 clutch is the way to go though.

looks like you and i have the same things planned for our cars at the moment.

that why I think an RS4 flywheel is the way forward, can't believe they would have a different bolt pattern between flywheels.
can understand why an rs4/s4 clutch would fit on a 1.8t flywheel though.

I would think as the RS4 has a bigger engine the flywheel is likely to also be bigger and with more mass, if you fit a flywheel with larger mass onto a smaller engine, it wont run right, and will probably be more sliggish to accelerate.
Just go for an uprated clutch to fit your existing flywheel, maybe a part ceramic one with an uprated pressure plate.

How much power are you aiming for ? my mate has a mk2 golf with an AGU 1.8t with IHI turbo running about 350 and he uses a standard clutch.

Suppose it has less weight to propell though

he is not 4wd either, only point of slip on 4wd is at the clutch.
I haven't found a decent aftermarket clutch that isn't a stupid price or that requires a larger left leg transplant.

Doc put me in touch with Southbend and they are around $600

any thoughts on other options?