fmic fitting guide?

jimya4t

Reaction score
a few month ago i seen a PDF step by step guide for fitting a front mounted intercooler for a 1.8 t sport b5? any1 know were i can find it?? ive used the search tool & google but no joy.
chears
jimy

read that yesterday, what a bargain for a front mount, i have often thought about doing this, basically replacing the plastic boost pipe which runs behind the bumper, is there any disadvantage of increasing the capacity of the boost system ?

I wonder what the capacity of the boost system with long pipes and sidemount is now compared to fitting one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-MOUNTED...9QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem with optimized pipework ?

There is the danger of increased lag which makes sense, as your having to fill a bigger space with the same pressure, there is a thread on here about someone who built his own from E-Bay bits phil, do a search, I'm looking to put one in very shortly as I'm puttin in a new manifold and turbo.

Biglockie said:
There is the danger of increased lag which makes sense, as your having to fill a bigger space with the same pressure, there is a thread on here about someone who built his own from E-Bay bits phil, do a search, I'm looking to put one in very shortly as I'm puttin in a new manifold and turbo.

You going for a big turbo set up, if so which manifold and turbop are you using ?

I am just thinking aloud really, the long boost pipe that runs along the front panel must have a fair capacity add the extra capacity of the std intercooler plus the additional pipe work involved to mount it at the far right of the engine bay; and i can imagine the capacity of a reasonable size mount with carefully planned pipework wont be too much bigger

Getting a manifold made, got some pics form america of various manifolds for our engine, I'll post pics of the manifold, the guy will make more if there is a demand for them.

Getting an IHI VF35 this week from my mates STI bigger injectors remap and FMIC.

the guy is also making me a full custom twin exit exhaust from the turbo back.

this is his web site check it out

http://www.exhaustcraft.co.uk/

his work is amazing!!!

goin to copy this manifold but extend the section down more to meet the turbo i think.

I know what you mean with the boost pipe, from what i remember from the thread i was on about the guy dropped the ID of the pipes to 2" due to lag problems from 3".

No I aggree with you on the capacity front fella, we need to find some that are already done and get a general consensus

manifold.jpg

that really is a work of art, I want one !!

Been out in my mates 1.8t mk2 golf running a VF34 and its seriously quick its an AGU engine running about 360 brake
He is rebuilding it currently with forged pistons and rods with a new spec turbo he hopes to crack 400

Leave it with me fella the only difference is where the turbo is we're gonna makea cobra neck extending it down to alow the turbo to sit in the gap between the engine and the chassis leg.

Once I've got it made I'll post pics, he is looking to start selling them if enough interest.