Sky InsuranceBadger5
    Rollin on boost mother hubbards

Status

Improving handling

Woop

I own a A4 1.8T - non quattro. Just wondering what the best mods are to do to the vehicle to improve handling as I want to do this before I get a remap and other things. Basically just want to be able to throw it around a bit more, chuck it into corners harder and faster etc and reduce understeer.

I gather getting it lowered with coilovers is a good option as I've seen a few people on these forums go for this. Any suggestions for which?

And really just any other tips on anything I can do to imrove handling in these situations would be well received

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    put a set of coilovers on it and uprated anti roll bars that will sort you out

alan

S6 avant

Status
    coilovers, wheels, and better brakes will make it feel a whole lot better.

hibiscus red is a fast colour too - that helps
    2000 s6 avant, special order met, green, satnav, Bose, tv, solar roof, privacy glass, recaro silver nappa.

S6 avant

Status
    ps. if i was'nt selling it, id be having KW coilovers next and maybe porsche brakes!
    2000 s6 avant, special order met, green, satnav, Bose, tv, solar roof, privacy glass, recaro silver nappa.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    cheapest thing you can do is check your tyre pressure, slightest bit of pressure loss can throw mine out quite a bit. I personally put 2-3psi more in rears, helps with the understeer (32front 35 back).
    Match your tyre width and wall height to your driving style. 7J rims and 245mm tyres lead to a lot more "loading" required before you feel that crisp turn in (the feeling that the car is moving to the side as you alter direction, turn too sharp before the tyre walls have absorbed the lateral force and you are much more likely to understeer). I have 245/45/17 on the original sport rims (7.5J IIRC) dont like em.
    your sport already has a lowered set of springs and uprated ARB but you can improve on them. depends how much you want to spend. Bilstien and H&R do good kits or you could go KW coilovers. V1 is there entry level height adjustable around £5-600, V2 give you height and rebound, V3 is height rebound and bump adjust £1000+

I am polybushing my 1.8t sport (next week) as the OEM bushes wih 80k on them are soft as sh1te, too fluffy on turn in.
    check your original bushes on the control arms and replace them.
    get a 4 wheel geometry done to make sure its bang on.

slamming it may look good but wont help if you have pants bushes and the wrong springs!
    sort the cheap stuff out first before you throw money at the problem.

some stainless hoses will help the OEM brakes, new pads from Pagid etc.

for £500 you could uprate your brakes to stainless and bigger discs....do you need it? if you get a remap to 220-250 your OEM brakes will cope. suspension upgrade would come first in my book

5th Gear

Status
    take a driving course. the car as it is will be far more capable of cornering harder than you. you just need to drive it right
    Dave

"If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    bit harsh....
    car is set to understeer as almost all "off the shelf" motors are.

5th Gear

Status
    indeed but that's a safety feature for people who can't drive properly. but how many people take the correct line around a corner, position themselves for maximum vision, brake in good time then balance the car with the throttle make sure they're in the correct gear and then accelerate from the apex. follow the correct procedure and you will find you can go quicker than you believed possible and you'll also find your driving is so much smoother
    Dave

"If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

Status
    Match your tyre width and wall height to your driving style. 7J rims and 245mm tyres lead to a lot more "loading" required before you feel that crisp turn in (the feeling that the car is moving to the side as you alter direction, turn too sharp before the tyre walls have absorbed the lateral force and you are much more likely to understeer). I have 245/45/17 on the original sport rims (7.5J IIRC) dont like em.
    your sport already has a lowered set of springs and uprated ARB but you can improve on them. depends how much you want to spend. Bilstien and H&R do good kits or you could go KW coilovers. V1 is there entry level height adjustable around £5-600, V2 give you height and rebound, V3 is height rebound and bump adjust £1000+

Yeah I have noticed this when steering especially when making gradual turns, it takes a couple of seconds (it feels like - probably much shorter) for the car to start moving in the direction you have set the steering wheel, it feels kind of like lag.

What sort of wheels/tires would counter this problem (as I will be replacing the standard wheels at some point anyway)?

Just how good are the lowered springs/ARB in the sport? Is it worth upgrading them for a good set of KWs for example? Basically I am willing to spend a fair bit if its worth it, I'm not doing it to look good while "slammed" just to get the most out of me car

S6 avant

Status
    im on 225/40/18 tyres now and feel they are a lot better. you could do with some lightweight wheels for better handling really. if you can afford them get the coilovers too, just fitting lowering springs will probably make it handle worse as it will be underdamped. they are more for looks imo. re bushing the key suspension components will help too. its a lot of ££££s though that lot!

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    you need to match you tyre to your wheel rather than just pick a width and wall height
    The more wall height (middle number is a %age of the width - the first number) and you will get a more wallowy turning feeling, more loading required and you are more likely to lose grip in a "snap" rather than gradually.
    7.5" or 7j wheels are 191mm between the inner surface of the rim.
    factor in the width of the rim and the slight overhang that stops you missus kerbing them and you have a ideal tyre width of around 200-210.
    you are more likely to have 225's fitted though.

Imagine the cross section of the bottom of the wheel and tyre, ideal situation is a pair of vertical tyre walls or slightly tapering in towards the tread at the bottom.
    if the tread is wider than the rim the walls and tread part of the tyre have more material to flop around when under load.
    the lower your tyre profile also reduces that excess material.

May not look so "fat" from behind but will feel better

5th Gear

Status
    I got the Eibachs fitted last week (see sig). I've also replaced the ARB droplinks on the front, strut top mounting bushes, spring mounts on the front and 3 of the arms at the same time. I've yet to have the tracking and the rear bushes checked to make sure it's all in line properly but feck me what a difference!! I think the 17s also help as I was running tractor tyres before with 65 profile tyres
    Justin

2001 VW Golf 2.3 V5 (170) Highline, Indigo Blue - standard, for now...

A4 (B5) SE with a few slight amendments here and there (sold)

Status
    So as Steve did a set of 225/40/18 is probably not a bad idea then really. What are the stats on the standard wheels for comparison? I think I'll get the wheels changed first probably in a week or so, is there anything else worth taking into consideration or that I should know? I've seen people talk about needing wheel spacers? also I am assuming theres no issue with the standard brakes and 18" alloys?

Thanks for everyones helps

S6 avant

Status
    as long as the offset is correct you wont need spacers or have any brake issuses. my wheels are replicas which are probably quite heavy but the change to 18" made a worthwhile difference. 225's sit nice on 8j - 18" wheels with a verticle side wall. i run them at 30psi all round (quattro) i think the standard wheels were 6.5j - 16" with 205 tyres

Owner

Status
    Uprated anti roll bars would help as well.

If I keep my car I will be getting these and polybushes next.
    A4 1.8T Quattro

4th Gear

Status
    power flex bushes in the front of my a4 made such a difference, its the rear lower arm that benefits form the bushes the most.

Neutral

Status
    Tyres are very important to look at first depending on what you have to start with. I bought some budget tyres as it was all i could afford at the time and the difference comparred to the old pilot sports was insane in wet and dry (after they were worn in). Tyre pressures also very important especially for low profile tyres. I would suggest 17" for optimum handling but then i have 18" because they look so cool...Just my opinions...