Brake upgrade

rusty1983

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,
Could someone recomend some brake upgrades for my '98 A4 2.8 v6 Quattro please. Are the S2 Porsche brakes an option.

Cheers
Russ
(Newbie: How come i cant post pics?)

easiest to find will be audi tt 312mm caliper carriers, normally £100 from breakers, use your oiginal calipers with 312mm New Shape A3 discs and uprated pads, that setup is more than enough in my eyes

rusty1983 said:
(Newbie: How come i cant post pics?)

You have to host them somewhere like flickr or photobucket. Then paste a link to the image using the button on the Go Advanced reply option.

Mark_B said:
I have some S4 calipers sat in my garage if anyone wants to make me an offer for them...

Would do but I'd need the hubs as well. I can see £££'s disapearing!

PhilR said:
easiest to find will be audi tt 312mm caliper carriers, normally £100 from breakers, use your oiginal calipers with 312mm New Shape A3 discs and uprated pads, that setup is more than enough in my eyes

Will TT caliper carriers fit straight onto the existing caliper mount then?
Has the new A3 got 5 stud discs as well as the A4?

A4Quattro said:
Would do but I'd need the hubs as well. I can see £££'s disapearing!

I think the caliper bolt spacing changed on later A4 hubs also so it may just be a case of getting some of those. I could be wrong though :confused:

A4Quattro said:
Will TT caliper carriers fit straight onto the existing caliper mount then?
Has the new A3 got 5 stud discs as well as the A4?

Yes the carriers bolt to the existing mounts and calipers, you can use a particular model a6 discs (v6 tdi i think) or ther new a3s have the right size discs too, 312mm 5x112 stud pattern and im sure 25mm thickness is the correct size

Would the discs be off of the 225 TT?
Does anyone know where I can get an set? No breakers near here that I know of!

LoL sorry.
Has anyone actually fitted Subara WRX Sti brakes on an a4?
Is it difficult and what are the difficultys involved.

Do you know what sort of spec the brakes are on one of those?

I would think it would be more effort than worth putting in. The Audi's are heavier cars

A4Quattro said:
What will not?

tt is 5x100 like the old a3 I think, so disks will never work from a tt.

the new a3 is 5x112 like the a4/a6 (and a8?)

If you are going to go non-audi then porsche would be sensible, iirc the s2 bits were cheaper from porsche than from audi. I used to have the part numbers somewhere - im sure someone will have them

If you want to look into it Simon at Porsch Apart used to be good for used porker bits.
http://www.porsch-apart.co.uk/

MARK_B I had read it on another thread on this forum as somone posted saying they were thinking of putting them into his A4.
If your getting your car tuned it is advisable to have good brakes to increase your stopping power that is why I was asking basically.

macattax said:
MARK_B I had read it on another thread on this forum as somone posted saying they were thinking of putting them into his A4.
If your getting your car tuned it is advisable to have good brakes to increase your stopping power that is why I was asking basically.

Couldn't agree more about upgrading the brakes. Just the the Scooby is a lighter car than the Audi so the brakes may not be that suitable... Thats if you can even get them to fit.

you could probably fit brakes from another car by making custom caliper mounts ( how many sets of mitsi evo brembo calipers are there around?) but you have to find a disk with a correct offset and stud pattern and centre hole size that is compatable with car and caliper.

i am looking at Hi-Spec brakes at the moment, they do a few different kits from small 4 pots through to massive 6 pot 380mm set ups.

you can make any caliper fit if you have the right bracket.
most audi (B5, B6 and B7 anyway) have lug mounted calipers, you either have to have a bracket to convert one lug pattern to yours or a bracket with perpendicular mounts to convert radial mounts to your lug mounts.
Brembo make the most widely available OEM upgrades, (subaru, mitsubishi, porsche etc all run Brembos.

You need to match a caliper (4 pot or 6 pot if you are upgrading) to an OEM or Mercedes disc. That way you have the right stud pattern and the discs are easily available. check the width of disc that is recommended for that caliper, numerous options available.

If you are going to do porsche go for mono block 996 and upwards 4 or 6 pots.
The "S2" brakes you refer to are 2 peice castings, not a problem in itself but the pad carriers corrode btween plate and caliper causing a pad squeeze and ulimately a binding. pain to fix and unecessary given how many otions you have for better parts.
You can tell the 993 and "s2" calipers as they have a wire pad retaining spring on the top (outside) of the caliper. later ones have a flat spring filling the gap.