Good starting point for my mods?

Rich

Rollin on boost mother hubbards
Reaction score
Hey hey, when I start getting some free cash again I'm going to start modding my A4 1.8T for fun and performance, dont really have much experience so I'll post my plan so far and if anyone has any comments or suggestions they would be more than welcome.

1- Install Carbonio Air intake
CarA4.bmp

http://www.dpmautostyling.co.uk/cat...cPath=69_1047_1048_1053_1054&products_id=2771

Hopefully this should up BHP 1-5 points but give a nice induction sound too - anyone got one/comments on this?

2- Miltek exhaust with a high flow cat
http://www.amdtechnik.com/product.details.cfm?ProductID=74&VariantID=8&ReferenceID=371

Again seen some good reviews of this, should optimise air flow and give a nice but not too loud and boy racer ish tone.

3- Custom remap from AMD
As seen here http://www.amdtechnik.com/product.details.cfm?ProductID=1082&VariantID=8&ReferenceID=7435

Hopefully with the previous 2 stages done should be a good point to get this done.

4- New brakes / coilovers
After that I think it would be wise to install new brakes, unsure which yet though. I'd like to lower the car a bit but as I really like the ride quality at the moment as I understand it coilovers are the best option as oposed to lowering springs as they replace the whole system and will give a nice ride (hopefully).

5- New intercooler, probably the forge one - unsure if I need this done as soon as I have the remapped engine to cool the extra power. If so I'll save up and get it all done at once :)

6- Other bits like Diverter valves, probably get some new wheels and other external stuff.

Thats it for now, any thoughts? Thanks for your help & advice

id work through that list, in a different order tbh.

6. Diverter valves are usually knackered unless they have been replaced, the 710n (off the 225tt) is a good replacement if you plan on a remap, alternatively you have the option of the forge/bailey aftermarket valves.

4 If i were you I'd want brakes and handling before more power

1+2 Nice choices, i have a different carbon intake kit (Simota) on my 1.8t and it sounds nice.

5 Intercooler before remap, otherwise you are increasing the capacity of the intake system after a custom remap. To answer your question a front mount intercooler is not really required for stage 1, remap

3 Remap

Sound like good plans though

Thanks that makes a lot more sense to do it in that order. How hard are the Diverter valves to fit? They seem relativly cheap so I'll probably replace that and get the carbon intake at the same time to start me off then think about brakes and intercooler. AMD will do the exhaust at the same place as the remap I belive so I can get them done together :)

Diverter valve is easy to do, you are best off taking the bottom cover off with the car up on ramps, its easier to access from underneath

Well I don't quite recon I would put a IC before map as you will not be running that much boost that it will really mater no unless you go K04-15 upwards with a very aggressive mapping then a IC would be advised. Has for intake not worth the money and I would only change it if you went for GT28RS+ as space become an issue.

So I would go:

Exhaust
DV & Mapping
Brakes (Big disc conversion with up rated pads will do)

Brakes definitely important.

I've had my 1.8T chipped and when i went to see a mate on the Isle of Sheppey the other week i was coming down the bridge onto the isle doing 130mph and realised my standard brakes didn't actually work that well when i had to start slowing down a bit sharpish!

Hadn't noticed before cos i never really drive on motorways and don't get the chance to use the top end speed.

Thats cool, yeah I wont be running a stupidly aggressive remap just a standard one with the default turbo still. I think I may just save up some dosh and just get it all done at AMD at the same time for ease unless I can find a place locally that does Miltek exhausts or similar with high flow cat as that seems to be a significant limiting factor.

docurley said:

So I would go:

Exhaust
DV & Mapping
Brakes (Big disc conversion with up rated pads will do)

I am with this aswell.

Exhuast - maybe go for a full decat system aswell, will let the turbo spool up a bit quicker.
DV - will need to be done when or before the car is re-mapped.
Brakes - Depends how daft your drive. ( I am looking into Subara WRX Sti brakes for mine )
Suspension - Most tend to go for coilovers so they can get a ride quality that suits them. i.e. dampening level / height