remote start on manual transmission s4

indica

Reaction score
Website
detroitunderground.net
Hi guys,
I am looking to install a clifford matrix III alarm and remote start in my S4 and was wondering if there is anywhere i can tap into that will detect if the vehicle is in gear. I need to find either a neg or pos signal that is generated when the vehicle is in gear [or not in gear]? Has anyone else out there installed a remote start in a manual tranny car and how did you deal with the fact that if you left the car in gear and attempted a remote start you now have a very heavy expensive battering ram??Thanks,

indica

This won't be the most useful post you'll read on the subject, but if you have cruise on and pull the car out of gear (i.e. when at the top of a hill and the car is on the overrun) or try to engage cruise in neutral, the cruise cuts out and doesn't work.

Therefore, perhaps there is such a sensor, and it IS worth looking for.

Your question has puzzled me before though when fitting alarms.

well i figured that on this type of vehicle with drive by wire and all that it SHOULD have some way to determine if the car is in gear. ABS or something should be checking that ****... we'll see! thanks.

most of the time you have to over ride the clutch pedal switch. normally you can't start a car without pushing down the pedal... and if your not there whose gonna do it? so you over run that and some manual trans can tell if they are in neutral. i know Subaru's have a module for that... (on the 98-01 2.5RS) or at least a switch. ill look at school tomorrow and get back to you with some info.

You dont need to bother if you fit a new Clifford remote start module as you have to leave the car running when you get out which means it must be in neutral.
Then as you arm the alarm it kills the engine ready for remote starting.

Andy