Lowering?

jimya4t

Reaction score
Anyone know where i can get some lowering springs for my a4 1.8 turbo sport. all that i can find is 30-40mm but i was hoping to go lower. is this bad for the shocks if i go lower than 40mm?

Any lower then 40 on standard shocks and the handling won't be the best it's ever been. It'll put alot of strain on the shocks and to be honest i wouldn't advise it. Try a matched springs and shocks kit or even coilovers if you want to go 'uber' low!

with mine being a sport, its 25mm lower anyway isnt it? so i was thinking 40mm wouldnt drop it that much. what do you think? a cant really afford coilovers to be honest.
cheers

Can someone explain to me whats involved in lowering a car. I have the sports pack on my 2.8Q it's a great ride but looks a little high.

Would you just find some decent lowered springs and fit them. I'm worried about loosing that quality ride & i don't want to go stupid low either.

Whats the standard height of sports suspension?

What are coilovers and how much?

I hate a mate who lowered his bmw so much that it caused 50% over wear on the inside of his tyres.

lowering a car will only eat your tyres if you dont get the camber adjusted on the rear and then realighned on the front when you have fitted your springs

jimya4t said:
with mine being a sport, its 25mm lower anyway isnt it? so i was thinking 40mm wouldnt drop it that much. what do you think? a cant really afford coilovers to be honest.
cheers

If your just getting springs i'd stick with no more then around 30 - 40mm max. We can do some H&R springs that are made for your car which will lower it around 30mm from stock.

doeboy said:
Would you just find some decent lowered springs and fit them. I'm worried about loosing that quality ride & i don't want to go stupid low either.

Whats the standard height of sports suspension?

What are coilovers and how much?

I hate a mate who lowered his bmw so much that it caused 50% over wear on the inside of his tyres.

As longs as your shocks don't have too many miles on and you don't go too low then springs should be fine.

Coilovers replace basically your full suspension, shocks and springs, and enable you to been able to change and set how high or low you want the car. On some you can also change the stiffness and rebound.

Your tyres will only scrub if you don't get a full alignment after having the car lowered.

Hope this has helped!

:superman:

I would recommend the H&R Race springs for sport shock as it lowers it just right in my eyes and you don’t suffer from that boat feeling with none sport shocks.

I have this setup on my 1.8TQ and it great.

Where'd you get those from Doc???

I've got the Weitec kit with new shocks and springs on my car, it's lowered by 35 mm its the perfect balance between comfort and handling, it doesnt rub as well. Over the years i've had Koni, Bilstein and Jamex on various VW's, some of these were a bit hard for every day use it looks just right height wise, i'm running 18" wheels as well, i'll post a shot of it tommorow on the removing the front string.

If you don't mind posting a pic, i'm on 18" RS4 wheels and i have a bodykit too but it's only an extra 20-30mm on the front bumper and less on the rear

Possibly but may have to wait a few months, just had a few big bills in. I've got your site saved in favs, and noted your price match promise too.

mckay9uk said:
I've got the Weitec kit with new shocks and springs on my car, it's lowered by 35 mm its the perfect balance between comfort and handling, it doesnt rub as well. Over the years i've had Koni, Bilstein and Jamex on various VW's, some of these were a bit hard for every day use it looks just right height wise, i'm running 18" wheels as well, i'll post a shot of it tommorow on the removing the front string.
Car's not ready i should have it back on Monday i'll post the shots as well, oh yes the Weitec kit cost me around £350, i think they are excellent quality from C+R Enterprises in Nottingham.