Rattle when lift off accelerator

1.8t-oxford

Reaction score
When i rev my car in nuetral you can hear a small rattle when you lift off the accelerater. my old 1.8T did this too so i'm thinking its a common fault, how can it be fixed?

check your wastegate actuator, mine had a similar sounding problem Ie rattle from around the turbo when de-accelarating, turned out the actuator was totally knackered and allowing the wastegate to be permanantly open so the turbo was not making any boost.

When the car is cold you can get your hand to the actuator rod on the underside of the turno, if you can move it by hand its dead

mine does exactly the same. is it the rod that comes out of the front of the actuator i need to check for movement?

yeah the actuator is towards the front of the engine bay with the rod pointing backwards to the wastegate valve. Its a tight squeeze to get your hand in and must be done with the engine cold for obvious reasons, but you can get hold of the connecting rod, if you can move it freely (which was the case with mine) its turbo off and new actuator time. Audi dont sell them but you can get a forge one with a lifetime guarantee for about 80 quid