Divided opinion on aftermarket brakes.

doeboy

Reaction score
I've read various old posts here about braking some people for OEM and some against their brakes/pads.

I've just remapped my 2.8Q and it's faster, noticeably with that and beforehand I often find my brakes just not cutting it. Usually when I’m coming to the end of a dual carriageway about this time of year. Cold air I don’t know but they just don't stop me as quick as when they're v warm.

I don’t know jack about cars to be honest- this is my first “fast” car. But from my readings some people are for EBC some don’t see them to be any good. I'm lost in a sea of everyone offering different opinions

I’m not an insane driver most of my braking is sub 50mph but i like it to be quick.

So what should I do? Change pads to redstuff and decent fluid, then to decent discs if little improvement?

Changing to ebc red stuff all round and ebc turbo brakes is around £260 that’s without changing brake fluid. Is it worth it? On a cold winters day and doing speed will they be able to cope?. When warm my current OEM brakes are Sh*t hot at stopping. However I rarely get them to the temp they need without driving really hard in the first place

i had those brembo sport discs on my calibra 2.5 v6 and they were great, you did get a bit of noise (droning)of them when you first used them , but seemed to go after they were bedded in

alan

i had green stuff in my nissan 300zx tt and to be honest they were a big improvment but the brake dust was terrible. I also think that although its been said 18bhp doesnt warrant big brakes, your likely to start driving faster more often because of the remap, therefore noticing a weakness in the brakes. I haven't modded my brakes yet but they need it because they dont work for long on a few fast miles of winding road. A fluid change, red stuff pads and braided hoses should do the trick. - and without costing the earth too.

We are still only talking 210hp here. I doubt i'll need Doc's 295 stopping hardware!

When i spoke about fade in my earlier posts i was talking pre remap so if anything it will be worse now.

I'm contemplating the red stuff all round with EBC turbo front discs and new quality fluid. The current standard discs/pads are only 8 or 9k ago just before i bought the car, is that half worn on average? i'm trying to calculate how much is left wear wise.

I'm also looking for best bang for buck.

example if Brembo's GT kits are 2k and give 9/10 but the next range down at £250 give 6/10 thats the one to go for.

wear has a lot to do with how you drive and the quality of the parts so its hard to judge how long they shoud last, they are a heavy car and if its an auto like mine that also makes it worse. new fluid and red stuff pads should sort yours out. Ive already booked a track day this year and hopefully some more which is why im considering a big brake conversion. but for fast road in our cars i think good pads, fluid, and get better discs when you have worn out the standard ones.

I think i'll have the redstuff and turbo pads then.

Was also thinking of a cheap personal plate how about

M999 BYE not bad for £250 inc transfer fees

or if you were crazy enough you could have "D12 CUM" for £500

Is your a4 Tiptronic or standard Auto btw? I'll post some pics when mine's been repaired in a few weeks

nice, cheap too! i went for V6 RUF on ebay 2 weeks ago but the price went stupid. im keeping my eyes out for S4 STE , A4 STE or V6 STE but no doubt theyre very expensive!

*edit* my car is a tiptronic so some engine braking can be done but it still needs lots of brakes to slow it up.

SteveS said:
*edit* my car is a tiptronic so some engine braking can be done but it still needs lots of brakes to slow it up.

Same as mine then, so you appreciate the need for good brakes!

I went for the ECS big disc conversion with grove cut disc, stainless brake lines and uprated pads and I have to say they worked great on the track with no heat fade at all.

3480G2_and_ECS.jpg

I have a 2nd hand set of s4 brakes 330mm! £150 for everything They'll stop you! Only I think you may need some S4 struts to fit them :( I think Quantum john has some of those.

Anyway... Ive used EBC stuff and they are ok, but I tried some Raicam pads and was particularly impressed. Although I think they wear quite quickly.

docurley said:
I went for the ECS big disc conversion with grove cut disc, stainless brake lines and uprated pads and I have to say they worked great on the track with no heat fade at all.

3480G2_and_ECS.jpg
Did the Twin Screw Blower come free with the brakes?!!