wheel dilema

205man

Reaction score
i was going to pick up some new 18 rs4 replicas today (just wheels no tyres, cant afford tyres and mate can get them cheaper so wait til hes back of holiday ), but due to being so busy today i didnt get chance.

but now a friend has put some new alloys onto his s4 so he said i can have his original 17 S4s with part worn tyres (5mm) for £200, they are in pretty good condition with a couple of small marks (easy repair)

so my dilema

a: do i go buy 18 rs4 replicas and wait til end of month for tyres
b: wait til sunday when mate comes down from manchester and have his gen S4s

what would you do

alan

personally i would wait and go with the 18s, hey cheeky i know but anychance of a hook up for some fair priced tyres. im after a pair of 225 40 18s.

I would go for the S4 wheels for a number reasons:-

1.£200 is a bargain for a set of s4 wheels with good tyres.
2. 18" wheels may look better but you do suffer with ride\handling more than 17".
3. Never been a fan of cheap replica alloys, always seem to damage more easily (especially with 18" and the state of most roads)
4.If you are short of cash you will be tempted to go for cheap tyres which would be a mistake. 17" Tyres are normally a bit cheaper than 18" so you can go for a better brand which will give you better handling.

But thats just my opinion.........

I'm gonna be even cheekier than Snoop - if you don't want the genuine S4 alloys off your mate, I'll have them!! :thumbsup: That's if he's willing to flog them to me!

If you don't ask, you don't get!!

if i dont have them ill see what he says and give you some contact details.

i should have made this a poll, and got people to vote.

i still dont know now which to go for, both have got to be better than my 16s

alan

don't the s4's have a different offset?

no the have 45 the same as my 16inch ones, the rs4 have a 20 offset

so these are a straight fit.........although tyres are wider so not sure if that cause a problem? mine are 205 and s4 are 225

alan

well my advice would be if you are running stock suspension go with the S4's as they will look better than 18's on stock suspension.

If you have lowered suspension then go with the 18's if you are going for looks or the S4's if you are more interested in oem look/ride quality/cheaper tyres etc.

To be honest £200 with 5mm F1's is a very good price for the S4's but dont buy them just because they are cheap as you will regret it.

I bought a set of 17 S4's for mine, a couple of them could do with a bit of a re furb and they don't have tyres on em yet, i paid £180 for mine. £200 sounds a bargain with tyres. Think i paid too much....:unsure:

I do prefer the OEM look myself though and they are obviously made to suit that particular car.

what i think i need to do is have a look at some more photos of cars fitted with both,
ive got to let him know by saturday so he can bring them down on sunday

alan

i have 5 no 17" s4 wheels with tyres for sale, in need of a refurb but going cheap

depends what mods your going to do to the car, s4's would be good for me as im fitting all s4 exterior + interior parts to it. also the 2.8 tiptronic is a bit high geared in my opinion so 18's will only make it worse. genuine s4 wheels are better made than replicas too, but for looks alone definatly rs4's. not much help there am i ?