My scumball A4

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I've recently purchased a rather tatty 95 A4 1.8 saloon in a sort of red / rust colour.

This has been specifically purchased for the Scumball 3000 Rally 2007, where entries must cost no more than £500 and 5 european countries are covered in 4 days!

The car is pretty straight now, but ideally needs a new wing and front repeater (the driverside flew out yesterday, so the a4 is currently making do with a make shift e36 orange item held in by cable ties!), some serious deep cleaning of the interior and some tyres.

The A4 is fitted with Oz 15 inch alloys. They look pretty good, but need new tyres. Rather than go to the expense of fitting 17s or 18s at this time I'm thinking of getting some wider rubber on these rims. It's currently rolling 195/60s; can anyone advise an optimum width and the maximum width it can run? My 325 E36 runs 225 front and 245 rear. I assume the A4 can run similar?

The central locking doesn't work; the fuse is fine so I guess the actuator is u/s. Something else to see to, although hardly urgent.

I've driven a few A4s, but not yet owned one. Although this has done 140k odd miles and the interior is minging (we are talking mould here after the area where the battery is sighted was completely awash!), the tyres are tyred and the suspension is probably original it drives rather well. I've been a BMW man for some years, but who knows a decent A4 turbo may be my next 'proper' car!

I own one of these but in better nick by the sounds of it!
Mines done 130k and has full cream leather
The colour is actually red on the log but I see it as a burnt umber!
Good buy for 500 quid if you ask me!

Thanks guys.

She's not pretty by a long shot; I should have taken a shot of the interior! Cream leather would be nice.

The log book does, indeed show red, just wondered what the correct name is. You got any piccies of yours gunshow?

Drives well, although the tyres do let it down - they're all legal just odd and nasty.

Good shout SteveS - I need to check the width of the rims before I can ascertain what tyres will fit.;)

Lot of car for £500 though! Isn't the colour called Autumn Red or something? I recall What Car doing a feature on car auctions a few years ago, and they said that A4s in this colour fetched much less than similar models in more common colours, like blue and silver! Real bargain though. Keep us posted with the refurb before the rally.

Now I know the colour I can attempt to get a matching wing (I think that'll look much better) that will help the resale. If I can't get the same colour it'll have to feature a lot of sponsorship stickers!

I'll keep you posted on events. Looks like I've got some new tyres sorted via a sponsorship deal. ;)

On the list still includes -
  • Lowering springs / younger suspension (140k miles covered)
  • Probably some 'new' seats (the existing are rotten - mouldy) any std seats will do ;)
  • A CB radio (seriously - it's a pre-requisite [apparently])
  • Front drivers side indicator
  • ...and of course the wing.
There's probably more, but I can't recall at this time.

If anyone's got any of these parts knocking around, please lemmino.

Likewise any sponsors please step forward (www.audi-sport.net will get some free exposure ;))