EDL a4 1.8t quattro 2000

audii

Reaction score
hi evrey one i have a audi a4 quattro sport 1.8t but im not sure if the edl is working how can you tell if its working / how do i know if its fitted etc because i parked on a grassy verge the other day adn two wheels where on the grass so other traffic could pass easly but when i came to drive away the wheels on the grass kept spinning i did move off in the end but EDL is suposed to stop this sort of thing

i heard no sound from the brakes and no pulling from the stearing to sugest that the EDL had applied the brakes if some one could help descibe how it works and what it feels like when triggerd at least ill know if its fitted /working thanks:undwech:

i thought EDL was part of the ABS not the stability program ASR or ESP any body els have any idea about this sort of thing thanks chaps

my 2wd a4 had an esp button but the quattro i have now does'nt. older quattros had a torsen centre diff and a manual diff lock for the rear axle but what do a4's have? i thought newer ones had EDL or have audi just done away with the diff lock thing? its difficult to test it unless we get some snow to play in:sm4:

yours doesnt have an esp button steve?

our car cars are the same age/year arent they but mine has one fitted??

alan

no, mine has a blank in the dash where the switch should be (next to foglamp switches) but ive never had any trouble with wheelspin or getting stuck, in fact its amazing how fast you can pull away on gravel or grass! mine is auto though if theres any difference.

mines also auto/triptronic maybe it was down to when in 99 it was released, mine a very late 99 was bought on xmas eve

alan

My 03 A4 quattro has an ESP button if that's any help?

Gary

Try getting the Haldex checked/serviced? Is this not what does the tricks?

A4 don't have a haldex they have torsion diff. The haldex is only in cars with the golf derived chassis where the engine is transverse i.e. TT and A3
Electronic differential lock

"The electronic differential lock (EDL) is an aid when driving away from a standstill. An electronically controlled brake application on the spinning driven wheel provides a torque reaction point for the differential. This enables the wheel with better traction to make use of the engine power. This also applies when reversing.

EDL is standard equipment on vehicles with 4WD. While EDL acts on all four wheels in vehicle with 4WD on vehicles with FWD it acts only on the front wheels. A mechanical differential lock is not required.

The EDL control function can be initiated at road speeds up to 40 km/h. Once EDL has been activated it cuts out automatically at a predetermined upper speed threshold of 40 km/h on vehicles with FWD and 80 km/h on vehicles with four wheel drive.

Suction dampers are fitted in the hydraulic unit. They assist the build-up of pressure in the corresponding wheel brake cylinders when EDL is active. The operating range of the pressure limiting valve in the hydraulic unit is 170 ± 25 bar.

To stop the brakes overheating the EDL control function is suppressed if the temperature of the brakes exceeds a certain value. The temperature value is defined in control unit-J104. The temperature of the brakes is calculated by the control unit using a simulation formula. The EDL is then reactivated if the calculated temperature drops below a predetermined lower threshold. The operation of the brake system and the ABS function are not affected by this automatic cut-off feature.

When the ignition is switched off, the calculated temperature of the hot brakes is stored in the memory until the ignition is switched on again. When the ignition is switched on, the dash panel insert sends a time signal which enables the control unit -J104 to calculate the period the vehicle has been left standing. This period is put into the temperature simulation formula to calculate the new temperature of the brakes. If the vehicle has been left standing for more than one hour, the control unit will automatically assume a brake temperature equal to the lowest value in the simulation formula.

If EDL is switched off due to temperature limit being exceeded this is indicated in measured value block for a period of 20 ignition cycles.

Dash panel insert with FIS
◆ The warning lamp -K118 is not supplied with DIS. The red brake fault symbol appears in the display.
◆ If the brake system is not fully functional, but the ABS/EDL warning lamp -K47 and the red brake fault symbol do not light up, this means the fault must be sought in the conventional braking system (mechanical/hydraulic components)"
If you need any further help i'll get what I can from elsawin