removing the front, advice plz!

SteveS

S6 avant
Reaction score
im going to trial fit my s4 bumper in the morning before i get it painted. am i right in thinking to remove bumper - undo the 2 allen bolts pointing upwards then undo the screws up each wheelarch, unplug the fogs then give it a sharp pull outwards at each side then it comes off? obviously taking care not to scratch the wings. if ive missed something plz let me know!!!! thanks.:unsure:

SteveS said:
im going to trial fit my s4 bumper in the morning before i get it painted. am i right in thinking to remove bumper - undo the 2 allen bolts pointing upwards then undo the screws up each wheelarch, unplug the fogs then give it a sharp pull outwards at each side then it comes off? obviously taking care not to scratch the wings. if ive missed something plz let me know!!!! thanks.:unsure:

Where are the two allen bolts?

right, it does not fit. sides are different, shock mounts dont fit, mud sheilds dont line up. looks like i need every single peice of mounting bracket changed on my car. which no doubt will cost a fortune!!! and its raining!!

I now know i need some new side mounts that bolt to the wings each side (bumper guides). i also need new shock mounts but this i can overcome by welding a spacer on top of the vertical tube bit that the bolt passes through. anyone got any side bumper guides that are the alternative type to mine? - ive got 8d0807 284aa / 283aa On my car and they are wrong for the s4 bumper

I was told this was a straight swap, found out tonight mines been painted ready to go, although mine has no bar attached to it at the mo so maybe i can fit my existing one to it??

hi shineydave& drizz, firstly i thought of adjusting the height as far as it will go and i'l try it 2 moz. and my bumper bar is plastic welded to the skin and has no holes for the headlamp washers. it also looks nothing like the s4 one. ive now arranged to buy new side fixings to suit the bumper and i hope this will be ok. i think all my probs are due to year differences between the parts.

there seems to be 2 types of bumper + mounts but as long as your car is the same age as the bumper then it should just be a straight swap. ive just been unlucky as my car is a 99.5 facelift and is a bit of both. when i held the bumper in place its the right shape and fits nice, just need to sort the brackets. if you want the headlamp washers working then its a new washer bottle with 2 pumps and a bit of wiring. i'l worry about that later though as its easy to take the bumper on+off.

mines a 99.5 too but according to an Audi guy the S4 wings are wider then STD but not as wide as RS4 and the bumper on mine will bulge at the sides...

when i tried it on yesterday i did'nt notice any bulges but then i was only holding it in position also i had taken the side brackets off the wings because they are wrong and get in the way, so i hope it does'nt bulge out with the new side mounts fitted.

whens yours gonna be done? Can you take photos of what you have and what you need so i can compare please?

im waiting for some new side mounts to come now so until then i can't do much. i havent had it painted yet because i want to make sure it fits ok first. i have been taking some pics but i dont know how to put them into a post! i'l try in a bit. you really need to drop your bumper off and compare it with your s4 one to start with and see if its the same, as you cant tell when its on the car. its not hard to take off just make sure you put tape on the wings so you dont catch the bumper on them.

Photo-0010.jpg
here are the bumpers silver one is the s4.

The S4 one is pre facelift then, damn shame i threw my old mounts out,fortunatly they are not too expensive iirc

I've been sending Pm's to Steve for the last couple of days now as my A4 is awaiting front end repair and i'm about to purchase an S4 bumper as well. I did wonder if his S4 bumper was pre facelift, pre facelift wing mounts should sort it now, so following the above info, all i will have to do is get a pre facelift S4 bumper cover, will this be a direct bolt on fit on my 98 pre facelift A4 2.4 SE ?? replies will be greatly appreciated !

you might need an s4 beam too, you can see they are different in the pics. Also your existing one prob does'nt have headlamp washers so you need those too because the s4 bumper has holes in it for them.

i took the front off again today, when i removed the side mounts i discovered there are more unused square holes. they look like they are for the pre facelift mounts. I also made spacers for the front mounts. the beam in the s4 bumper is 90mm high, my mounts are 49mm high so ive made 2 41mm tube spacers that sit on top of the screw-in adjusters. this has sorted it and the bumper sits nice on the car. so its off to the paint shop at last:rockwoot:

Photo-0010-1.jpg
the 3 white holes are the facelift ones but there are 2 more without captive nuts in, these seem to line up with prefacelift mounts.

Hi,

Found out today that Audi have discontinued the pre facelift S4 bumper so if anyone is considering buying a new S4 bumper they will have to buy all the fittings(wing mounts, bumper shocks) if the car they have is a pre facelift model like mine, this is going to cost me an extra £75 for the bits. Still going to do it though !!!

i have a full s4 front back and side to go on but had not thought of facelift vs pre, will have to check now!!
This should be written up as a sticky in the FAQ section if antyone has done it, seems to be a lot of differing opinions.
can anyone confirm that S4 wings are the same width as A4 wings? I was unaware of any wider arches....that will seriously put me off fitting it

Im not aware of s4 / a4 wing being different. i thought only the rs4 was different. I would be willing to contribute to an s4 replicas sticky especially as my next job is sideskirts, and ive read that they dont fit very well either - lots of mods!! s4 grey dials is my project after that, im hoping to change the faces only so as not to have coding troubles. as for the rear bumper its just going to be painted at the bottom! - easy!

mckay9uk said:
Hi,

Found out today that Audi have discontinued the pre facelift S4 bumper so if anyone is considering buying a new S4 bumper they will have to buy all the fittings(wing mounts, bumper shocks) if the car they have is a pre facelift model like mine, this is going to cost me an extra £75 for the bits. Still going to do it though !!!

how much are the facelift S4 front bumper?

I've been quoted £225+vat for the bumper the fittings will cost an extra £85 (bumper shocks, wing mounts, grilles)

My car is in the bodyshop for a new n/s wing, bumper and bonnet my insurance company have paid for the bits, i thought it would be a good idea to get an S4 front end, i used to work for VAG so i have some good contacts to get the parts with trade discount. Its taken me a week's worth of browsing to find most of this info out, the majority of parts dealers and Audi dealers do not want to help at all. That's why i have had to contact my old work collegue who lives approx 50 miles from me, without his help i dont think i would have bothered. The S4 and A4 wings are slightly different this doesnt affect how the bumper fits, i only found this out as i have to replace my n/s wing but the bumper mounts fit ok and the bumper will fit properly with minimal effort. My car should be done late next week i'll post some shots of it.

am i right in saying a facelift S4 bumper will fit straight onto my facelift A4?

Yes it should be a straight forward fit, the best way to check is to contact two separate Audi dealerships one with a facelift S4 registration number and compare the bumper fittings part numbers for your car, obtained at another dealership.All the parts should be the same. Dont let the Audi partsman in on to what you are doing. But if you do the above you can verify the details before purchase. dont forget to post your findings here. You will need the part numbers for the wing mounts and bumper shocks.

my facelift foglamps dont fit my s4 bumper either. however, vagparts do some s4 outer grilles without foglamp holes they are about £30+vat a pair and save you a fortune by not having to buy new lamps. im having them cause i dont use the front fogs anyway!