EM TuningSky Insurance
    ~~~~~~

Status

80w blubs. Risky or not?

Well i decided to upgrade my existing blubs as i just wasnt feeling that there was enough light for my liking.

My brother picked up a pack of Ring H7 80w Sportzblue at the local shop for me, but i know the legal limit is ment to be 55w(he didnt know that).

What are the risks with fitting these blubs apart from the legal reason?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    i fitted 100w bulbs in my old calibra and they ended up melting/distorting the plastic on the back of the headlamps and had to replace both sides

not saying would on your a4 but could be a possiblity

also risk of wiring damage due to more current being drawn. although you may never see the full potential of the 80w bulbs due to the wiring used as standard, to get the most you would have to rewire with a heavier gauge to allow the full current they would need

6th Gear

Status
    yep, when i fitted 100W bulbs in my corrado I had to rewire them straight off the battery then use a relay to the headlight switch. Had no problems with melting the reflectors, and it went straight through MOT's

All said though, using bulbs rated that high is still illegal.

saying that, on my mk2 golf it was just sufficient to use an uprated loom with the old 55w bulbs.
    Last edited by madvw; 23rd December 2006 at 10:35.

Status
    "i fitted 100w bulbs in my old calibra and they ended up melting/distorting the plastic on the back of the headlamps and had to replace both sides"
    That's Vauxhall quality for you.

BTW the existing wiring will not limit the current, what will limit the current is when the wiring acts like a fuse & burns out.

S6 avant

Status
    ive got halfords superblue 80w bulbs in my 99' b5. theyve been in about 6mths now, i was a bit worried about melting stuff but they havent yet even when i did 220 miles at night back from cornwall. i think 100w are too much though without relays to feed them.

~~~~~~

Status
    Good to know im not the only one that was worried!

I went to fit them today and my only worry was when i switched them on with the bonnet still up i saw a small trace of smoke come from one light and a slight burnt smell. I could just be over paranoid but i just dont fancy my motor going up in flames one night!

Amusing Tagline

Status
    Talking of Calibra's, I had 130w bulbs in fogs and main beam and 100w for full beam and never had a problem with melting. Went through MOT ok too.

Later on my Passat I had 100w sportzblues, and I didnt think the light output was any better than the standard 55w, due to the filtering effect of the blue colourant, hence why they are higher wattage in the first place, or so I was told. Saying that, it was a much cleaner light.

Personally, after having both high wattage and blue bulbs, I would say it is better to go for a clear, high wattage bulb for best results. Failing that, check out ebay.com (US), as there are a lot of cheap HID conversion kits available there!
    Last edited by filipharvey; 23rd December 2006 at 19:29.
    Audi A6 1.8T Avant

Alfa 156 3.0 V6 Veloce

5th Gear

Status
    i replaced mine a couple of months ago and used halfords super brilliance bulbs, and eben though they are still 55w they are much better than standard and they were doing a special offer which i think is still on

buy one get one free so you will only pay 20 for the pair not the 40 they should be (i wouldnt have bought them if they were 40........just me being tight)

alan

~~~~~~

Status
    I did see the halfords deal but i was more looking for blues with a blue tinge as ive just fitted blue sidelights. Just be difficult really!

The HID kits look interesting and not too hard to fit so that could be an option.

2nd Gear

Status
    have 100w main beam in my a4,the 1.5mm cable is well up to the current draw(less than 10 amps)

Riding on V8 power

Status
    i had 100w bulbs on my 206 ,as said that passed an MOT fine and i didnt seem to have any problem with melting plastic!
    German iz ze vay forvard!
    Made with vorspung durch tecnik

2003 Noggy S4 Avant - 344bhp of pure V8 muscle

S6 avant

Status
    just done a 400 mile round trip in the dark, with the 80w's in and they're fine -(i checked them after reading this thread and having them on for 3hrs at a time!!!)

~~~~~~

Status
    Yeh i think i'm just alittle paranoid as my neigbour's car went up in flames last year and it was thought to have been an electrical fault.

Ended up going with the Halfords super brilliance and theyre certainly better.
    Couldnt help myself while i was in there and picked up some indicator blubs for the front. Theyve got a blue look to them but light up orange, never seem them before but worth a try if get rid of the fried egg look!

Neutral

Status
    I fitted over power blue bulbs to the wifes 4x4. They did look good and gave a nice light, however, two problems spring to mind; firstly other drivers did, on occasion, flash her - I assume the light 'dazzled' them, and secondly both bulbs blew (at the same time!) after only 12 months use. The car has no other modifications or extra lights and is now fitted with factory spec bulbs.

I wouldn't bother - just buy decent branded (ie philips hyper) bulbs.