Front end damage to my 2.8Q

doeboy

Reaction score
Ok so this Thursday i hit someone in front of me at about 5mph or so. Usual Hit, waiting on slip road to join dual carriageway, thought he'd gone, looking right and move forward, look back and see him, foot on brake, weight shifts to front and WACK!

Bent bonnet and scratched bumper! The bonnet still locks and there seems to be no damage to the radiator.

Is there anything behind the bumper i should be worried about damage too?

I'm trying to price up cheap replacements, any ideas? i see on ebay you pick up both parts for as little £200-300! However any idea what the spray likely to cost? Obviously talking non Audi here.

You've obviously guessed i only went TPFT by now :( protected thank God!

I've just looked on ebay at front bumpers and none of them seem to have the slots for the jets for the lights! Any ideas? I don't want to just buy an aftermarket standard bumper unless i can have my front valance taking off the existing bumper and fitted onto the replacement if possible

Your going to find it hard finding one with the jets on them might be a good time to look at the S4 bumper. I have a hood for £60 off the RS4 I broke-up if you’re interested.

Might take you up on that hood. What Colour is it? Do you know is it simply a matter of respraying ontop of the existing colour? & are you including a grill with it Doc? Any suggestions about getting it to me?

I've seen this which for an extra £58 gives you holes for washers and fogs.

http://www.tuning.co.uk/rieger/en-gb/dept_143.html

Except that's for the 99 on, which from the pic seems no different from my 98. Whats different mountings? There's a chance my bumper could be repaired, it's only scuffed, seems to be no stress marks altough it sticks out on the drivers side wheel arch a little.

I could live without the washers, just disconnet them, but i'd like my fogs still.

You would have to cut the bumper to get you're jets in but it can be done but for the same price you could get a new S4 bumper I think.

I have no way of getting it to you myself it would have to be a courier job and I don't have a grill for it. The colour is the RS4 silver blue can't remember its colour name but it will only need a repaint as its A1 condition.

i have a late b5 grille if doc has'nt, and by new year il have a spare perfect bumper complete - lights grilles and bumper beam if your interested? no washers tho. im changing to an s4 bumper + rs4 grille. all my bits are 99' facelift.

The problem with the bumper is i have a kit on there's a link to pre crash if i can find it.

the RS bumper, if thats the one doc has is fine as a replacement i can live without the jet washers tbh, give me reasons as to what benefit they are. I presume as they're sunked beneth the bumper you can disconnect them and install a bumper over the top without worry. I'd like to keep my fogs though. I'm going to get my mechanic to take a look, he's a good independant bloke, might know where to get sprayed.

Whats the difference between the 98 & 99 models anyhow? will a 99 bumper fit a 98?

enlarge the pic, the sides and rear spoiler are the same as mine so could have this fitted and it would'nt be out of place.

http://www.venodesign.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_96_98&products_id=353

i would imagine a good bodyshop can repair the bumper, i reversed my b5 tdi into a low wall and really made a mess of it (did a 3 point turn whilst in a foul mood due to being lost!!) my bodyshop repaired it for £100 cash. they can plastic weld cracks and scuffs. you could just not bother with the washers and remove them if you change the bumper.

It's finding a decent bodyshop! the first and only one i walked into wanted £25+vat just to look at the car! Needless to say i walked away on principal!

When you say repaired? what do you mean? i'd need them to level out where the paint has been warn away and then sprayed ofcourse back to it's orignal level smooth finnish!.

they should drop the bumper off check the internals for damage and if its only paint damage they will sand it all out and paint the whole bumper. i took mine off myself and took it in, they did it in a day! - saved some labour costs. its easier to paint it off the car. try a big bodyshop-they still like a bit of cash in their pockets every now and then! i used to work in one, and they have the best equipment.

oh, and when you find somewhere - have a look at a car they've repaired, some places can't paint a car right to save their lives!!!!

Ta, i don't know if it's viable though! one of the washer covers has snapped it's bracket so i'd need a new one which ofcourse would need painting! I don't know if they're sold seperate either. I don't even know quite how to google it. A different bumper sounds nice though. If i bought a new one how much are we talking for painting? baring in mind we're talking metalic green? Same with the bonnet! I know it varies but rough idea?

As you seem to be a man who knows a few things, what's behind the bumper exactly? Dampers to take small impacts?

This car's my pride and Joy and since the accident it feels like a dirty whore of a wife! i'd even contemplated not servicing her, not paying for top line tyres anymore. If i can restore her beauty for less than 600 quid i'd be extastic! previously i'd thought it would be 1.5 - 2k! Having looked at prices though it looks alot less now.

any front bumper should cost £100 - £150 to spray. and about the same for the bonnet i reckon. you can pick up a second hand bumper for between £80 and £200. if i were you id use this oportunity to put a nice front end on your car! maybe an rs4 style aftermarket bumper and an rs4 mesh grille. behind the bumper is a fibreglass frame that holds the headlamps, radiator, aircon and a metal beam inside the bumper. i think there are dampers yes. you could do it for £600 if you shop around. try putting - audi s4 or audi rs4 into ebay.

Well then that sounds positive, the headlamps are fine not even a bulb blown it's just the bumper and bonnet that took the force, i suppose i was lucky in that sense!

Post some pictures of the damage as it sounds like you’re not to sure what can be fixed and what can't so we can give you some ideas.

You should be able to find some breakers up your end that may be cheap for parts plus my bonnet is a face lift so a little different.
http://www.vwaudibreakers.co.uk/

Will do when i get back from Devon and after crimbo day when i get my nice new DSLR camra!

I've just looked at the bumper again and the jet washers would have to be removed if i wanted a standard bumper on.

Ta for your help guys.

all being well i'l be collecting my s4 front bumper xmas week so you can buy my old one if you need to. its a 99' facelift in good condition, with all the bits including oem foglamps and metal beam. you can see pics of it in my gallery!

Hi Chaps,

Damaged the front end on my 98 A4 2.4 Se:( , urgently need to know if an S4 Bumper will fit, if so, does any one have the part number and can any one advise all the parts i will need, are the bumper shocks the same or different ?
Thanks

soon as ive trial fitted mine i'l let you know! i was told that the s4 does fit ok but may need new side mounts to match. it certainly looks like it will fit, the undertray is the only thing i havent checked yet!

Right update, been to a few bodyshops. Talking about £800 with replacement bonnet (Audi £214) been warned off third party parts. They also seem to think they can salvage the bumper which is a bonus, just abit of work on it then a respray

The drivers side headlamp is knackered so i've bought a pair of angel eye lamps.

glad its getting sorted, make sure you get a genuine audi bonnet even if its second hand. cheap pattern ones ar'nt galvanised and dont fit very well, the panel gaps are usually crap too.