heated mirror help!

SteveS

S6 avant
Reaction score
the other morning i started my car up. computer said 8 degrees, after about a minuite there was steam coming off the mirrors(they were wet) but the heated rear window was off and so was the climate. i thought they worked off the heated rear window switch? are they automatic or are they broke? they turned off after about 10 mins. anyone know?

The heated door mirrors will automatically heat up depending on the outside temperature (I think its 5 degree C or below) and they operate independently to the heated rear window switch. They don't work off the heated rear window switch.

The mirrors are heated according to the outside temperature when the ignition is on, dont know at what temp they kick in tho.

thanks! i thought they must work automaticly, it just was'nt a cold day, it was raining. temp display said 8degrees - snowflake symbol comes on at 5degrees or below, i would assume they would work with the snowflake sign. oh well. at least they work! unfortunatly i have'nt got an owners manual.

Pre facelift are on all of the time, its why they burn out, and facelift are temp controlled.

AFAIK its only the glass that makes the difference as the temp sensor is fitted to the glass itself

As mawhitey has already said, on pre-facelift cars the mirrors are heated whenever the ignition is on, just like on the earlier Audi 80's, and which is why they burn-out in no-time.....
The replacement mirror glasses obtainable from German & Swedish are seemingly the later type with the in-built temp sensor so they only operate when the ambient temperature is roughly 5 degrees or below......
Have replaced both my mirror glasses a few months ago with OE quality ones from G&S and can confirm they only come on at low ambient temps; have to say though think this is a backward step as most of the time heated mirrors are needed to clear rain/water from mirrors on muggy days.......