B5 Alloys upgrade

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im looking to upgrade the alloys on my 99.5 A4 TQ to 18s. Rather than buy aftermarket, I would prefer to fit a set of genuine audi wheels.

I have searched and become generally confused as to which 18" alloys from other Audi models will be a straight bolt-on fitment. I know alloys for A3s, TTs and B5 RS4s wont fit, can anyone shed any light?

Those I have looked at so far are B6 18" S4 alloys (8jx18 ET45), and 18" RS6 stylie alloys that I have seen at my local dealers (fitted to late model A4s).

Regards,
N

As far as i know anything but TT, A2 & A3 should fit.

If you are going for the 18" genuine 5 arm s-line wheels, get the ET43 offset for your A4, as they are also available in a higher offset for the new A3's and they will not fit without spacers. I have to say that some of the replica wheels are very good quality, try and find Italian manufactured replicas, rather than the more common Chineese replicas.

Wow that was a great bit of ninja posting there doc!

Thanks for the replys chaps, I notice vagparts have the B6 S4 ones for sale at not rediculous prices. I'll pop down to my local dealer and see what their prices are too.

Better start looking at suspension too, as it'll need lowered to make the best of the 18s.

Regards,

N

if you are lowering, becareful if you have a sport model, these are already lowered i think about 30mm, someone may correct me.

Hi macca, yeah its a sport model. Not looking to lower it that much, 20-30mm would be fine.

I've seen H&R springs advertised with koni shocks, not interested in coilovers or anything really mad.

Regards,

N

I fitted these to mine and the clearance is mm's, so had to fit spacers which pushed the wheel inline with the body (some people like that, not too keen).

MARMITE (RS6 area) friend has the same but managed to do this without spacers, have sent an email to find out how, will let you know.

s4.jpg

macca said:
if you are lowering, becareful if you have a sport model, these are already lowered i think about 30mm, someone may correct me.

Mines a sport with 18s and it still needs lowering! have purchased RS4 Avant shocks and will be getting some H&Rs to go with them

EnzoS4 said:
I fitted these to mine and the clearance is mm's, so had to fit spacers which pushed the wheel inline with the body (some people like that, not too keen).

MARMITE (RS6 area) friend has the same but managed to do this without spacers, have sent an email to find out how, will let you know.

That looks ace :)

Where are the clearence issues? Is this because the rims are ET45 and not ET43?

Regards,

N

naefeart_A4 said:
Is this because the rims are ET45 and not ET43?

The wheels are ET45 same as the 17", but a small jump from 225 to 235.
On the S4 the hub bar curves around the wheel, with 17" there is about 20mm clearance, with the 18" this is down to about 5mm.
The other issue is that the spokes on these wheels are thicker and with new brake pads these catch on the caliper, 10mm spaces sorted these out.

The A4s may have a different hub or caliper setup and these 18" may fit better..?

Thanks for that, makes sense to me now.

Im not aware of the differences between the S4 and standard A4's hubs and caliper setup, perhaps someone here knows :think:

Regards,

N

ive got rs6 reps, 8x18 225 tyres and they are quite close to that bar on the back. only a quattro has it tho. my 2wd b5 had more room due to different suspension.

yeah they clear, even with a car full. the bar moves with the wheel so the gap stays about the same all the time - about 12mm ish. my car has the factory sport suspension, about the same height as an s4. you could go lower i reckon.

naefeart_A4 said:
Im not aware of the differences between the S4 and standard A4's hubs and caliper setup
N

your right - been checking around and found this diag below - the hub seem the same in design between A4 and S4.

the bar that bends at the top is where the wheel is close, however as SteveS quoted:
SteveS said:
the bar moves with the wheel so the gap stays about the same all the time

The brake calipa looks different, the S4s are bigger than the one in the diag below, so you maybe OK and get away without spacers.

The S4 18s on a lowered A4 would look great, and there isn't many B5s with these wheels. mine could be lowered to look better but insurance (say no more)

if its the S4 or RS4 / RS6 wheels - you cant go wrong, all would look good... Good Luck

From Audi A4 1.8 Q
A418Q.JPG

Well i have an A4 Sport Quattro and am gonna fit 18s with RS4 shocks and H&R 40mm springs. Fingers crossed then

Doc gotta post pics soon as you get them fitted...the chrome or polished alu deep dish look is what i fancy...:hubbahubba:

1.5 " lowered tein springs on some 235/35R19's no rubbing...but had one bottoming out problem on a speed bump one time ....just have to go about 3 or 4 mph to have no problems...

JayB5UK said:
naefeart, are the 17's up for grabs?

Jay, I guess they would be once Im sorted with the 18's. Do you fancy a set of these wheels?

EnzoS4 said:
....The S4 18s on a lowered A4 would look great, and there isn't many B5s with these wheels. ...if its the S4 or RS4 / RS6 wheels - you cant go wrong, all would look good... Good Luck

Thanks man, that's a good find. A set of 18" S4s shod with 225 section rubber should work well and if not, then I'll just have to go with the spacers (although I don't like the thought of putting extra stress on the components).

Ace, thanks folks :salute:

N

eastside_valver said:
What colour/model is your A4?
I may well see you going about :icon_thumright:

I've got a silver 1.8TQ. Not sure if there are many round this way (I haven't see one yet), but you'll recognise mine due to the no. plate ** WTF

If you see me give us a wave :thumbsup:

N

Mine's a 1.8T Sport Avant in dark blue metallic and has an S4 grille.
I'll keep my eyes peeled :sm4:

BBS is the only way to go :p

taken on my phone, so not the best...

IMAGE_010.jpg

i wanted BBS on mine but they were a bit expensive! im definatly having them on my s4 though after xmas:yum: gotta have polished rims on an imola or noggy s4!!!!!

ZeroK66 said:
BBS is the only way to go :p

Now you're just complicating matters :sm4:

I looked at these previously and going by their website and performancealloys.com I dont think they do an 8x18 fitment for the A4, just 8.5x18.

Would 225 section tyres be ok for a rim 8.5" wide?

N

i think a 235 is the minimum on an 8.5? i had a set of 8.5-18 rs6 wheels for my 2wd a4 and i thought they stuck out too much and did'nt have them but its all down to the offset i spose. think you would be struggling to get 8.5's on.

naefeart_A4 said:
Jay, I guess they would be once Im sorted with the 18's. Do you fancy a set of these wheels?

N

Yeah I like them, would you pm me with a price you have in mind, either now or when you are near having them swapped over? Cheers.

My wheels are 8x18 et 48 with 225 40 18 tyres and they run very close to the bar shown under number 2

A418Q.JPG

225s will be fine on a 8.5, i once ran 225 40s on a 9x16