S4 Engine Swap

yeaaaaap...it will work....but getting it to run completely right is the Q

All the best with it being FWD. I guess you could call it fun?

Can't really see the point in doing this, why go to all the hassle when you can buy an S4 cheap enough now anyway.

mwarrey said:
Can't really see the point in doing this, why go to all the hassle when you can buy an S4 cheap enough now anyway.

That all depends on just how 'cheap' this S4 engine IS (and labour of course) ;)

and how much will the insurance be afterwards, insurance company will almost certainly charge you more than s4 insurance.

macca said:
and how much will the insurance be afterwards, insurance company will almost certainly charge you more than s4 insurance.

Most will yeah, but Greenlight (with Highway as the underwriter) just base the premium on the car the engine came out of.

My Astra GTE has a Calibra Turbo engine in it, and they just based the premium on a Calibra Turbo,........with everything declared :)

Even though you and I know the engine goes a hell of a lot faster when it's in a stripped out MK2 Astra LOL!!

dan, i will eventually get my motor running for more than a few miles and we will have to meet up finally, getting the engine shop to build me a power plus 1.8T lump over the next couple of weeks, which with a GT3071 kit next year should see me nearer the 400bhp mark. (all in a front wheel drive!)

ref: s4 engine transplant, hope you are good at electrics, also what gearbox are you going to use? will the engine mount to a FWD gearbox? or is it a quattro? i know the clutch/flywheels on s4 and a4 are different.

Dan Gliballs said:
Most will yeah, but Greenlight (with Highway as the underwriter) just base the premium on the car the engine came out of.

My Astra GTE has a Calibra Turbo engine in it, and they just based the premium on a Calibra Turbo,........with everything declared :)

Even though you and I know the engine goes a hell of a lot faster when it's in a stripped out MK2 Astra LOL!!
any pics of your GTE? i used to have GTE16V

I had a GTE too, those were the days. :)

Also had a Renault 5 Turbo and a Renault 19 16v. Never again, Renault 5 scary and tinny, Renault 19 very unreliable.

Loved the GTE though.......

I was no boy racer............honest. :)

low610 said:
I had a GTE too, those were the days. :)

Loved the GTE though.......

I was no boy racer............honest. :)

I sometimes really miss the instant..ish power of the GTE16V however i love my V6 smoooooth.

I too also had an Astra GTE 16v, in Bordaux red, and after a year of ownership spent a ****** fortune on it putting in a lump from a Cav Turbo. I also did the 6 speed box swap. plus lots of other goodies, headwork, charge cooler etc. Saved all of the money doing the work betweenme and my mates but still spent a fortune. (£14k upwards) Ran a 13.2 sec 1/4 mile at santapod, come 2nd in class at Ultimate Fast Car one year, got beat by a white one with similar mods, but with a stripped interior who ran a 13.1.

In the end it had to go though as I split the front innerleg from the bulkhead, which I'm sure youve heard of. I'd just had enough and it had to go. I still miss it to this day and wish I'd never got rid. I sold my mate nearly all of the bits and he still has his car mothballed in a barn. Those where the days.

Its strange how things develop as after owning an S3, a Leon Cupra R, I'm back to what the original post was on about another sleeper, an A4 Avant with an S4 engine fitted, and to make it even more strange the guy who owns the astra I mentioned above with most of my bits fitted to it actually owned the Audi previously.

I'm waffling, I'll shut up now.

Pics

A4-S4Front.jpg

A4-S4Engine.jpg

A4-S4Rear.jpg

Was it Jon Taylor's white one? (13.1 sec).

Got any Astra pictures? :)