tdi not starting....... timing problems, any help out there?

shufti

Reaction score
hi guys

I have a non running 1996 a4 avant 1.9tdi (110 bhp) that I recently advertised for sale.

I just had an audi technician come to view and try and diagnose the starting problem..... I told him that I previously tried the wd40 in the intake pipe trick which didn't work though it did make the engine slightly kick but not start.

He hooked it up to Vag Com which showed no engine faults and he said there is still good compression in the engine. He opened the injectors and fuel was coming through. He then spotted the cam belt to be looser than it should and said the timing is out and this is the likely reason it's not starting.

Unfortunately the dilemma is I cannot get him to repair this as it's a conflict of interest with him wanting to buy the car from me not running and getting a better deal. He seemed honest and what he come up with made sense to what I've been advised on this forum in the past, I guess if he wanted to stitch me up he would of said it needed a new diesel pump or engine etc and try and buy the car for peanuts..... From my point of view a working car is far easier to sell than a dead one and I'm hoping that the repair will not be too costly as what he saw certainly didn't put him off making an offer on the car as it stood.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much this may cost to put right? can the cam belt just be adjusted or does it need a new one fitted?

does anyone know a reasonably priced mobile mechanic or enthusiast around the Croydon area that could help me out?

any help would really be appreciated, thanks

from my experience on a cam belt from Lexus and Audi....there is no way you can adjust the tension....the belt it a precise length that is suppose to fit to each tooth from the cam both cam's to the crank.now the tensioner on a Lexus is hydraulic and may go bad after a while....i dont know about the tensioner on a Audi my guess its Hydraulic also..or spring tensioned..if ur timing is off the it can be either the belt had gone bad or the tensioner itself....my advice Audi being a interference engine stop trying to start it...before any further damage to heads...if possible take the plastic covers off to expose the cam belt..see if it feels some what loose, there shouldnt be any play in the belt what so ever..shoud be real "tight"...and if its off you might not be able to tell at all.....since you have the 1.9 i think it may be easy to check the timing marks on the belt to the crank and cams...rotate the belt manually and see if the marks line up..using a ratchet wrench on the cam..the marks on the belt may be worn off if so you wont be able to line the marks up...just replace the belt OR.. get another opinion from a Audi shop....Lexus or Toyota engines are non-interference engines so there is a margin of error while fitting the belt...but honestly the belt should go on one way....once fitted you activate the tensioner and the belt if fixed the timing marks...hope you have a better idea what may be your problem IF its a timing issue..
Good Luck, Chris

thanks, there is a definite play in the belt.

I'm not very mechanical to be honest so would rather pay someone to do it or at best do it with someone that has the know how as I don't think this is a diy job? I wouldn't know where to start in lining up the marks.
I'm just looking to get an idea of what it should cost and how much labour is involved etc

its not the mechanical part im scared of..i heard to many times people not having exact timing lined up, and soon as they turn the key the engine was shot...not to mention you need specialty tools for this job...well atleast my engine needed 3 tools that i dont have...so i bit the bullet and had Audi do the job....

ok thanks, I'll just try and find someone who can do it on site........ any one know anyone local to me? any guides on price?