Getting HID's to stay on with main beam?

inigoj

Reaction score
I have just fitted my facelift Valeo's and an HID kit for low beam, but when i switch to high beam the HID's go out.

What is the best way to make the xenons stay on whith high beam?

Should i wire up the high beam + to the HID starter too?

they shouldnt really go of when you turn on high beam! you sure you have wired them correctly?

Turning on the dipped beam activates a relay, and draws directly from the battery.

I think that when i switch to full beam i am momentarily loosing power and this is switching the relay?

If anyone is using facelift Valeo 1 piece headlights with halogen for both beams, does your dipped stay on when you turn on full beam?

inigoj said:
Turning on the dipped beam activates a relay, and draws directly from the battery.

I think that when i switch to full beam i am momentarily loosing power and this is switching the relay?

If anyone is using facelift Valeo 1 piece headlights with halogen for both beams, does your dipped stay on when you turn on full beam?

what HID kit did u buy? pre facelift r H4's (BI-XENON) which works main and full beam and facelifts r H7's, should be plug and play no wire joining hope this helps

I bought an £80 H7 4300k HID kit from Australia on ebay, they are excellent and i cant fault them + 1 year guarantee.

When i bought my car it had 2 piece old style H4 headlights.

I have just fitted 1 piece Valeo facelift halogen projectors with twin H7 fittings.

I dont think that it is possible to wire them up wrong and still have everything work.

I am starting to think that my problem is something to do with the way an H4 bulb is powered. (and therefore the power to my headlight harness)

An H4 bulb contains 2 elements, but when full beam kicks in does the dipped element turn off?

This would explain the problem, but im not sure exactly how the H4 power setup works, or how to fix it.

IMHO u will need to go to a breakers yard and rip out a facelift headlight loom as for the main beam is H7 and full beam is H7 too then join the wires up to ur loom (cut off multiblock that u r using now) then connect up the wires, should be colour coded :think:

I think that there must be a headlight relay that is causing the dipped beam to loose power when i turn on full beam. A fused link to replace the relay would seem to be the answer.

Any electrical boffins know if this assumption is correct, and what relay position/pins?

There is a mod to correct this, i will try and find it, i am sure i saw it in the packaging of my old 2 piece projector lights.Its to do with connecting a wire on the steering column somewhere IIRC

if you 'flash' the lights while the dips are on you'l probably find that the hid's stay on. i think you need to modify the way the stalk switches, don't connect the main beam to the hid's cause the main will be on all the time! i would imagine that connecting the headlamp flasher live to the main beam live behind the stalk may fix it but it may need a diode to stop any feedback when on dip, a good mobile sparky should sort it faily quickly!

ps, yes the dip does turn off as the main comes on with h4 cars but not when you flash the lights, my car is facelift with seperate bulbs and the dip does stay on with the main.