Audi A4 1.8T Engine

a4singh

Reaction score
Hi,

I need an engine for an Audi A4 1.8 turbo (1998) model. Anybody know of any scrap yards I could check?

Thanks for your help...

these can be hard to find at times as i waited a few months to get my hands on one. what engine code is it? AEB? AJL?

try Angmering VW/Audi Breaker in Sussex 01903 850924

got mine from German recycled 01525 210978 in leighton buzzard

expect to pay £500 - £800 without turbo and ancilleries

The engine shop in Erith in Kent do remanufactored ones i think for £1299 exchange or there abouts, i think these are a better bet than getting an unknown engine from a breakers. i'm currently now getting my engine rebuilt after all.

Go on ebay, search the community for 4ringsspares, they're an Audi / VW breaker in Derby and always have an engine for about £800 listed.

PS how many miles have your guys' engines self-destructed at and were they standard or modified, not heard of one letting go before!

i've never seen one go past about 90k miles before cambelts destructed parts of the engine, people leave them until 80k which is way too late, get cambelt done when you put new engine in, costs very little and saves a fortune!

billybravo said:
i getting near 160,000!! on mine and it runs sweet

Cool. Was gonna say, surely must be unloved engines to blow up in whatever way. Mine has 120k on it and don't smoke or rattle even when not started for a week. Oil doesn't even go dirty between services either.
Must just be very unlucky, mind you I agree with the comments on cambelts too, if they quote 80k, what do they state as the interval in years?

well basically, the current engine had over 155000 miles on it, was going well, but i think i drove it too fast, revs were constantly high on the motorway..... seen an engine, 700 quid (approx. 70k miles), 300 for fitting, but while he's fitting, gonna do he cambelt, waterpump, cv joints etc.... so gonna wait till tomrrow, wwaitin for two phonecalls back from other scrappys, if not ill go for it, put it in, get it sorted....

It's all about care. Most modern engines will last well into five-figure mileages if you follow these simple rules:

1) Never, ever, ever, rev the engine past 3000rpm until it is fully up to temperature. 90% of all engine wear occurs while the engine is warming up. So, treat it like gossamer until the oil temp gauge (if you have one) is up to normal. If you only have a water temp gauge, you need to wait at least another ten minutes after it has reached normal level to allow the oil to catch up.

2) Never, ever skimp on oil changes. If anything, change the oil and filter at shorter intervals, and don't use cheap oil.

3) Don't risk the cam belt. Get it done sooner thar than later, and include the water pump at the same time.

Re the waterpump in the above post, not all 1.8t waterpumps are driven by the cambelt

my waterpump is driven by a vbelt... got some other quotes, but want an engine with lowish mileage.... gonna be a long long process now.... cant wait to get my baby back.... miss her so much!

a4singh said:
my waterpump is driven by a vbelt... got some other quotes, but want an engine with lowish mileage.... gonna be a long long process now.... cant wait to get my baby back.... miss her so much!

Unless you see the engine in the vehicle prior to removal you can't guarantee mileage and everyone will tell you that theirs has got between 60 and 80k on it. No one's gonna say it's a high miler!!!

The 1.8T AEB engines have a common oil pump problem, so check the oil pressure is ok before you buy the replacement engine. I had an A4 with the 1.8T engine, and after covering 145k miles, the oil pump gave way, and i sold the car with 153K miles, and i still see it about. The are OK for high miles, provided you keep on top of the servicing, and have regular oil changes.

hey guys,
bought an engine, out of a 99 model a4... hopefully get it fitted this coming week.. will let u know how it feels after its fitted. obviously the car will never be the same as the original, but hopefully wont be much different....
thanks for all your help as well (the guys who told me about the scrappys)!

Good stuff! :icon_thumright:

saw my engine today.... very very poor site...

massive hole in the block.... got kinda upset when i saw it :(

all goodtho, hopefully get the new one soon, they were meant to deliver it today, but didnt......

hmmmmmm.

2JAFSG192438-02.jpg

where did you get the engine from in the end?

my brother found a place in oldham... they were reasonable as well....

just found out my clutch has gone as well, so need that as well... car is gonna feel so different wen i get it back.