Uprated Battery & Alternator:

ZeroK66

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a fair audio setup, but suffer with the headlights dimming at high volume. The engine will be out soon, so may as well replace the alternator with something beefier. What options are out there if any?

Secondly, when I do replace my battery, I see the Bosche Silver Top is highly recommended, but is there something better out there better suited to audio installs?

Cheers,
Leon

You could opt for a TDI alternator they usually auite a bit higher current

batterywise, optima yellowtop or excide deep cycle, are usually used in big installs. what are you running btw ? i assume big subs and a very big amp ?

edit your sig says 800w rms, thats not an awful lot and shouldnt really be dimming headlights that much, you upgraded your earths etc ?
I run more than that with no problems at all on std alt and battery

Running a Phoenix gold Xenon 200.4 (Could be upto 1000W RMS as the quoted figure is less than the actual on the Xenon Range).

I have 0 Gauge Power feed and Earth, so really should not have a problem there. Maybe my battery is just weak and needs replacing/upgrading. I hope to install a 2nd amp just to run my 2 x 10's and use the 200.4 to run mids/tweeters. That means more power, so more trouble I would expect.

While the motor is out in the next week or so I would like the alternator replaced just so that it has been done. TDI one be different as I have the 2.7... maybe the 2.5TDI has something special?

Those Optimas are good, had one on my jeep, that had a 3500KG winch on it.

Nice, well I did e-mail optoma a while back and they never bothered mailing me back - wasters.

I have had the A8 2.8 150A alternator suggested. Anyone know if this would fit?

i run a decent audio system but i added a 1 farrad capacitor to my setup and i have never experienced any dimming.

Yellow top optima that's been suggested is your best bet. You might be losing pwoer due to the water being low?

If thats the stock battery, your putting it under a lot of extra strain with your uprated audio system, and also losing some power. So i'd defo say it's worth investing in YT :)

Could always re locate the battery to the boot aswell, that way you can have a larger one installed into it. Or maybe a second small one, with a power cut out, so it wont completely drain your battery. Depends how much of your hard earned you want to throw at it lol!

run two 15" 1800watt subs i have a 1 farrad capacitor also and dont get any dimming at all and i can kick out some big bass

but i am upgrading to the yellow top batt just coz i want to :)

i would go for the yellow or red just incase you want to upgrade or just stick with a normal audi batt

Strange I get dimming, probably just a duff battery.

Turns out the A8 alternator does not fit.... so going to try a TDI one next. Also going to upgrade THE BIG 3

Alternator - Battery +ve
Battery - Body -ve
Engine - body -ve

Hopfully this will help and if the TDI alternator fits I should be off to a good "bass" for future upgrades. I will do the battery next and I should then absolutely NOT have any problems :p

Cheers guys