Turbo Rebuild/Repair ?

eastside_valver

Reaction score
Where can I get my K03 turbo rebuilt?

It was the victim of an oil pump failure and was replaced with a secondhand unit which has been fine since the oil pump was replaced.

I'd like to have it rebuilt so that I have a spare.

How much is a rebuild likely to cost me?

Average cost is about £300-350 for recon round about were i am

Google it

I had turbo problems at a similar time to your failure iirc, i have since seen new k03 turbos for a4s go for 200-250 on ebay, its probably best to snap one up next time you see one, i was tempted but my turbo failure turned out to only be a faulty actuator.

get a seal and bearing kit and give it a crack yourself. nothing to lose as it is dead anyway. learn about turbo internals and generally feel good about it if you manage a good job

JCB can you recommend anywhere to get these kits? Is there much in the job or could any DIY mechanic have a go and succeed? I've done wheel bearings, cambelts etc so i'm reasonably competent.

Seen some k04's on Ebay recently.

Slightly on and off topic here, but can you build a rebuild kit for the K04 and stick them in the K03?

doubt it, it has a bigger housing IIRC

jcb said:
doubt it, it has a bigger housing IIRC

No the K04-15 has the same housing but different internals, specifically the compressor blades. I would imagine that there will be some machining out to do to the k03 housing to turn it into a k04

Hi i have just joined up to site you can get your K03 rebuilt at my work in inverness i do turbo reconditioning myself if still intrested.its not a job to take on urself unless you have the machines to balance the shaft and rotor and then finally build run up and balance turbo core but if your willing to take the chance its up to you.it is possible to build a k04 into a k03 as i have done this myself to my last car which was a ibiza cupra but and am planning doing it to my A4 very soon.

I could be interested in a k04 conversion/k03 rebuild as you're almost local in Inverness,
What sort of price would I be be looking at?

for a rebuild on a k03 you are looking between 250/300 for a k04 conversion dont no how much boss would charge would all depend on how much could get a k04 core for unless you were to supply it.im trying to get hold of a k04 myself to convert mine at the mo through a breakers we deal with might be able to get hold of a couple.can keep you informed on how i get on