JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    4th Gear

Status

Exclamation clunking when letting of brakes

ok people, heres the situation. ive had this clunk bang knock noise coming from the osf when traveling at low speed, say 10 mph brake and then when i let off the brake then the clunk bang knock noise happens, it def feels like something loose like the caliper, but its 100% not the brake caliper or the pads. all control arms and drop links have been replaced so that rules them out. im kinda stumped as i had two top class lotus car tech's look at it today! me and me mate. =) have pried on all balljoints and bushings with my trusty bar. any help/opinions more than welcome.
    Dan

2. # ADS
    ADS

One Ate Tea

Status
    I had this happen before, it was the Cheapo discount centre pads moving around in the caliper, replaced them with greenstuffs and its been fine since. It tended to be when you reversed and broke with mine.

4th Gear

Status
    well the pads are jurid pars which i belive are oem ar as good, should also mention only happens going foward not in reverse. i just cant get my head around it, and cant fix the bloody thing as i cant find the problem.

Status
    check the caliper bolts and make sure the shims are fitted.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    I've got a smiliar problem, but with me the noise comes up when I'm driving slow and step on the break hardish, I hear it knucnk against something, this can't be the pads can it?
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

One Ate Tea

Status
    On yours defratos it could be a really worn out upper link if they come off the rubber bush they clunk against the housing under braking, snoop has replaced his but it may be your problem

EDIt seems that you have an S3 so im wrong, unless its bottom wishbones ?

Neutral

Status
    i have the same problem..and only seems to act up when its the first few mins of driving...looked at the pads..calipers and everything is intact..almost as if its only when the brakes system is cold...fwd brakes..it is odd but i stop when its needed so im dealing with the clunking sound in the top of the morning...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Defratos
    I've got a smiliar problem, but with me the noise comes up when I'm driving slow and step on the break hardish, I hear it knucnk against something, this can't be the pads can it?
    I had this problem on mine, used to get a clunking noise when driving slowly over rough surfaces whilst applying the brakes. It turned out to be the lower "bent" arm. It is very difficult to detect any play in the front suspension when the car is jacked up. I also changed my front wishbone links as the early ball joint type wear out. (these are easy to detect play in).

I would suggest taking your car to a dealer and ask them to test drive and then ask their opinion. They must see loads of A4's with worn out suspension parts should be able to diagnose the part that needs changing. Most will not charge for this (mine didn't) and even if they do it could work out cheaper and less frustrating than changing the wrong parts.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Mine did this when the bottom balljoint went, hmmm but you have checked them, the pads moving in the caliper is usually a lighter sounding noise,rather than a clunk, in my experience anyway

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mawhitey
    Mine did this when the bottom balljoint went, hmmm but you have checked them, the pads moving in the caliper is usually a lighter sounding noise,rather than a clunk, in my experience anyway
    i have replaced the rear arm thinking it was the culprit, but no, im going to play swap the brake pad on friday and see if the noise swaps sides. cant do **** sfter work coz its dark, fookin winter and german cars aye...