clunking when letting of brakes

Danielson

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
ok people, heres the situation. ive had this clunk bang knock noise coming from the osf when traveling at low speed, say 10 mph brake and then when i let off the brake then the clunk bang knock noise happens, it def feels like something loose like the caliper, but its 100% not the brake caliper or the pads. all control arms and drop links have been replaced so that rules them out. im kinda stumped as i had two top class lotus car tech's look at it today! me and me mate. =) have pried on all balljoints and bushings with my trusty bar. any help/opinions more than welcome.
Dan

I had this happen before, it was the Cheapo discount centre pads moving around in the caliper, replaced them with greenstuffs and its been fine since. It tended to be when you reversed and broke with mine.

well the pads are jurid pars which i belive are oem ar as good, should also mention only happens going foward not in reverse. i just cant get my head around it, and cant fix the ****** thing as i cant find the problem.

On yours defratos it could be a really worn out upper link if they come off the rubber bush they clunk against the housing under braking, snoop has replaced his but it may be your problem

EDIt seems that you have an S3 so im wrong, unless its bottom wishbones ?

i have the same problem..and only seems to act up when its the first few mins of driving...looked at the pads..calipers and everything is intact..almost as if its only when the brakes system is cold...fwd brakes..it is odd but i stop when its needed so im dealing with the clunking sound in the top of the morning...:shrug:

Defratos said:
I've got a smiliar problem, but with me the noise comes up when I'm driving slow and step on the break hardish, I hear it knucnk against something, this can't be the pads can it?

I had this problem on mine, used to get a clunking noise when driving slowly over rough surfaces whilst applying the brakes. It turned out to be the lower "bent" arm. It is very difficult to detect any play in the front suspension when the car is jacked up. I also changed my front wishbone links as the early ball joint type wear out. (these are easy to detect play in).

I would suggest taking your car to a dealer and ask them to test drive and then ask their opinion. They must see loads of A4's with worn out suspension parts should be able to diagnose the part that needs changing. Most will not charge for this (mine didn't) and even if they do it could work out cheaper and less frustrating than changing the wrong parts.

Mine did this when the bottom balljoint went, hmmm but you have checked them, the pads moving in the caliper is usually a lighter sounding noise,rather than a clunk, in my experience anyway

mawhitey said:
Mine did this when the bottom balljoint went, hmmm but you have checked them, the pads moving in the caliper is usually a lighter sounding noise,rather than a clunk, in my experience anyway

i have replaced the rear arm thinking it was the culprit, but no, im going to play swap the brake pad on friday and see if the noise swaps sides. cant do **** sfter work coz its dark, ****** winter and german cars aye...