What would you do?

joost

Reaction score
Sorry peeps, this is another exhaust related question amongst the hundreds already asked, apologies for the length too! :sorry:

I has a custom stainless system fitted not long after I bought the car. The idea was that it would mean I didn't have to worry about replacing it whilst I owned the car. :idea:

Unfortunately, not long after it was fitted, it developed a slight leak on one of the joints. It came with a lifetime guarantee so I went back and they sorted it, FOC. Only problem was, it then developed leaks on two more occasions but to their merit they sorted those too. Low maintenance seemed to have gone out the window at this point. :(

Now I'm someone that believes in benefit of the doubt so when my cat disintegrated, I had the same company replace it. Then it went again :mad: ! They then told me that I would have to pay for another cat whilst the one they'd previously fitted was sent for testing to see if it was due to manufacturing or my car overfuelling (this was the cat manufacturer's policy apparently). ******** to that! They told me a de-cat pipe was £40 less than the cat - de-cat pipe duly fitted.

Now, the middle box's baffles are rattling their asses off!!:banghead: Here's where you fellas (and ladies) come in. Do I:

a. go back to the place that fitted the custom stainless, kick off big time and get them to put a full new system on including fitting a cat I bought elsewhere,
b. go back to the place that fitted the custom stainless, kick off big time and see if I can get some money back,
c. go and find another system and :moa: to the custom place?

I've done a few searches and most recommend the milltek system. Only problem is, they don't list one for the NA 1.8! Would a 1.8T system fit?

:sos: Any advice would be greatly appreciated :icon_thumright:

i'd go with plan c, swallow the cost of getting a new one and be done with the old exhaust. you'll probably find that the 1.8t won't fit due to the pipe size being different and may even not allign up at the front, i'd find a quality company that makes one for your car. shame though as miltek are good.

Cheers macca. Been leaning towards that one myself to be honest. I've been back to the custom place today and had a word - it's booked in next monday for him to sort. I'm looking at it as though I've got till then to find another and tell him to shove it.

Been thinking about Powerflow - there's a place near me that fits them. Anyone had any dealings with Powerflow??

I would go back as you have a life time guarantee and there for it needs to be sorted.

I would be dammed if I would pay more or buy another plus if your car was running rich an MOT would point it out in your emissions test.

Why does it keep developing holes?
The only 2 reasons I see this happening is poor workmanship in the first place where the welds have not been strong enough to deal with the stresses of the exahust or they are not using stainless weld which is rusting.

John

QuantumJohn said:
Why does it keep developing holes?
The only 2 reasons I see this happening is poor workmanship in the first place where the welds have not been strong enough to deal with the stresses of the exahust or they are not using stainless weld which is rusting.

John

Think it's the former mate. I do know he sprays a high temperature paint over the exhaust when he's done because it's all black. I've often wondered about it myself. He is a one man band but has branches all over the place. Curiously, a friend of mine had one fitted on his classic yank and he's never had any problems at all. And his has flame throwers fitted. Purely for show purposes of course!!
To give him his due, he's never really complained whenever I've taken it back. It's just a PITA when I do 'cos he usually wants it for a full day.

Might see whether he sorts it and take it from there. At least it won't cost me anything to find out.

Update - it was booked in next monday. As far as I was aware, it was to sort it.

I rang him today to check if I needed to book the day off and was told he would only be looking at it to find out what was wrong with it, I'd have to take it back another day for him to do the necessary work ***!!! :wtf:

It's now booked in to another place on monday morning for the Powerflow.

Tempted to give the old one back to him in pieces and tell him to shove it up his exhaust :mad:

Don't know whether I should...

Zaust Stainless Steel Systems

Unit 3, Albion Court, Waterloo Rd, Clitheroe, Lancashire BB7 1NS
Tel: 01200 425888

Web linky

edit: bear in mind, mine's only the Clitheroe branch - the others could be spot on!

My mate has a custom exhaust on his gti-6 and he's always taking it back. The big aftermarket exhaust companies spend fortunes developing them specifically for your car. The custom places just bodge one together to fit right.

Get a supersprint

I was worried about the bit where you mentioned the high temp paint?! Someone could be knocking mild steel ones out and passing them off as stainless.

Strange you should mention that Jay, I've just got back from picking it up after having the Powerflow fitted.

I had a quick gander at the old system that had been taken off. The piping was stainless albeit the cheap stuff (409??) but the boxes were mild steel or had mild steel internals. Also, it had been MIG and not TIG welded. The most worrying bit was one of the bends though - it had collapsed on the inner radius and made the pipe a crescent moon shape. Not impressed, feel well and truly ripped off.

Used to think the old system was at least half decent, now I know different! Just hope I don't have any problems with this one!!!

MIG is not the way to weld thin tubing, too hot AFAIK, hence the holes. I would take it back and demand a refund. just because you have a warranty and they keep fixing replacing it doesn't mean you should have to put up with it!! Milltek mate. job done

jcb said:
I would take it back and demand a refund. just because you have a warranty and they keep fixing replacing it doesn't mean you should have to put up with it!!

Thought about that but I'd probably end up being done for GBH after wrapping it round his fcuking neck! :slapped: Just glad I don't have to deal with him any more. It was in about 3 pieces too as they'd had to cut it off - couldn't seperate the sections.

jcb said:
Milltek mate. job done

Considered Milltek but as mines not a T, they don't do a system for it. Looked at a few others too but plumped for this Powerflow. Sounds a damn sight better and seems to pull more smoothly. Well, as smoothly as can be expected from the NA 1.8! I'd defo have got a Milltek if it was the 1.8T though.

joost said:
Strange you should mention that Jay, I've just got back from picking it up after having the Powerflow fitted.

I had a quick gander at the old system that had been taken off. The piping was stainless albeit the cheap stuff (409??) but the boxes were mild steel or had mild steel internals. Also, it had been MIG and not TIG welded. The most worrying bit was one of the bends though - it had collapsed on the inner radius and made the pipe a crescent moon shape. Not impressed, feel well and truly ripped off.

Used to think the old system was at least half decent, now I know different! Just hope I don't have any problems with this one!!!

Go and collect it, take it back and demand some money back as it was sub-standard.

Joost,

At least you're happy now. It did sound wierd painting the whole thing black. I've never known any s/s exhaust to be painted - there's never the need.

John

Jay, I know exactly what you mean but I just can't be ***** with the fella any more. Just going to put it down to experience.

Cheers John, didn't particularly strike me as odd at the time. I now know why he did it though, w@nker.