Power steering fluid leak

low610

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Evening all,

I suspect that my power steering fluid is leaking, don't think it's the engine oil because it's too light and the only fluid that has dropped is the power steering.

The fluid seems to be dripping from the middle rear of the engine.

After reading some previous posts, it will more then likely require a replacement rack which i'm not planning on doing this side of xmas. With this in mind, can anyone recommend any options and what is the best p/s fluid to use.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Rob.

Mine done the same had to get a new rack. Get it check out you may only need a gator or something. If your loosing the fluid quickly then i would stick cheaper stuff in no point in spending alot of money of fluid that is going to get wasted. I just used stuff from Halfords.

Audi specifically state "Do Not Use standard PAS fluid". You should only use VAG mineral oil. It's not expensive at all, about £7 per litre from VW.

My car has the exact same problem at the moment. I took it to my local garage to have it checked out and hoped it was only a burst gaitor, but no, the rack itself is leaking. I was checking out prices for a replacement rack from GSF and Eurocarparts, and almost keeled over - £400+ inc the surcharge! I was lucky enough to find one brand new genuine rack at a buy it now of £150 from 4ringsspares, so i snapped it up. Will be fitted tomorrow hopefully. I have been keeping a close eye on the levels and been topping it up with the VAG mineral oil. You can't use the ordinary power steering fluid most other cars take, as its a specific fluid that is required for VAG cars. If you are lucky to get away with replacing one of the gaiters, it will only cost about £6 for the gaitor, so fingers crossed its only a gaitor :unsure:

Thanks for the replies all,

I'll get it checked out and let you know, the good old car owes me nothing, can't complain really. I'll keep it topped up with the VAG mineral oil for now.

Well, the mechanic has had the car for over a week and cannot find a leak. My garage floor tells a different story. :)

He wants to have it again so he can start stripping down. I think it might be an OIL leak now. With this in mind, does anyone know of any common places the 1.8T engine starts loosing oil. I think it's coming from the middle at the back of the engine.

Thanks in advance,
Rob.