2.8 quattro Dashboard light blown

NicA4V6

Reaction score
Hi all, switched the lights on the other evening to come home from work and realised that a bulb? has gone behind the rev counter on the dash, resulting in the the segment between 3 & 5k being dark. Is it a simple job to replace the bulb or is it going to be a pain?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

I have the same issue on my car, blown on the speedo between 60 & 120mph!
So I would also appreciate any help!

My Oil Temp bulb is away. As far as i know you can replace the bulbs but need to take out the cluster obviously.

Just did this on my 80. I had to remove the steering wheel and then the steering column surround. This allows access to the screws that retain the instrument cluster. Once you remove these the instruments lift out (this is a pain and needs some patience, also I had to disconnect the cables from the instruments to get them out fully). The bulbs are accessable from the back and the holders unscrew easily enough

on my 99 model there is a plastic trim around the collumn its attached to the dash, pull it towards you from the top (at base of instrument glass) there`s 2 20torx screws behind it. remove them, drop the collumn ajuster down and pull the cluster out carefully! undo the plugs and you can change the bulbs then!

Yes as SteveS says relatively easy job, just a bit fiddly unplugging the connectors at the back as they are on fairly short leads. My tip after forking out £38 for Audi dealer to change one bulb during a routine service (I didn't know any better at the time), make sure you change all the bulbs at the same time, as they all tend to go around about the same time. I found this out the hard way and have ha the instrument cluster out 3 times in 2 months. The bulbs are pretty standard, but dealer charges approx £2.50 per bulb.

forgot to mention, cover the top column cowl with masking tape first cause you`l scratch it trying to get the plugs undone!!!:sob: