2.8 performance

Chilli

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I've owned my 2.8 30v quattro for just over a year now. On paper the performnce seems to be quite reasonable for these cars. However, i havent really ever thought much of mine, never seems to accelerate quickly when needed and definately doesnt seem to live up to its quoted 7.2 seconds to 60 mph.

I bought a golf TDi for my girlfirend this weekend, the 130 bhp model and i have to say that it is a hell of a lot quicker than my Audi. As far as i know my car is working well (low mileage, FSH, no fault codes etc etc) but surely there must be something wrong. Even my VR6 seems a lot faster. I know people say because they are smooth you dont notice the performance but i would just like to know how other owners view their perfomance??

Cheers

Tom

If you want the claimed performance you have to keep the thing over 4500 revs which is not easy. I've never been blown away by mine, but in the right gear it pulls well, if only till it hits the limiter. The surprising disappointment is on the motorway. If you're cruising at say 75mph and then floor it, absolutely nothing happens and you have to drop it down a cog or two. However at 100 it accelerates well which is really useful. My wifes old 1.8TS was so much better.

My 2.8 is rather doggish from a 0 mph punch..and picks up around 3500 RPM in 2nd...and the power arc keeps improving ..in 3rd @4500 is quite decent power being observed....now from a 40 MPH punch in tip mode...the car is rather fast...the car has a good power curve @ 3500 and above..the motor is made to perform at high RPM's thus a 30 valve V6...5 valves per cylinder is an beefy head...i noticed a improvement (little one) but noticeble with the cold air filter.....and a little bigger improvement on the high end side with the filter..(freeway use)..new plugs and wires also made a better throttle responce difference ..sad to say there isnt much we can do with our 2.8's my next thing i wanting to do is a full exhaust system to compliment the free flowing cold air intake...im wanting to make a low ram air scoop for the cold air(fabricate)...reason being once the engine gets warm or hot...there isnt a whole lot of cold air being injested....the air filter in too high in the engine compartment and we all know warm or hot air in this sence is trapped at the highest point..defeating the "cold air mixture"...what i failed to understand when i put my cold air intake on..i placed the MAF 45 degrees off from the normal position...this gave me low eng speed fault codes...which made my transmission act up.. basically the ECM was telling the tranny computer bogus shifting points in non-tip mode..

My 2.8 also is very doggy in the low revs but once its away it pulls like a train,feels very longlegged and i dont think you realise just how quick they are because they are so smooth and quiet.

well with a PES supercharger this is expected..can i have it?:laugh: to feel the steam train power?

After reading that i definately think something is up with the car then. Is the fuel filter an easy swap? I will try the plugs as well.
Its strange because with the cold weather we are having my car has been transformed, these last few mornings it has been flying to work.

Chilli said:
After reading that i definately think something is up with the car then. Is the fuel filter an easy swap? I will try the plugs as well.
Its strange because with the cold weather we are having my car has been transformed, these last few mornings it has been flying to work.

All cars perform better with colder and denser air and especially Turbo powered cars.

The charger is a full kit Inlet manifolds, charger, chip, injectors the works and they come with full instruction how to fit it.

I may be selling mine soon as I have been unable to sell the car with it on so will be taking it off and selling on its own.

Changing the fuel filter is a pain but recommended as most cars have never had them changed and after a while acts as a restriction.

Fuel filter How To

was a bit disappointed with my 0-60 too. had a 2000 1.9tdi (115) before and it felt quicker to 60! but having had a very mad race with an m3 in the 2.8q on winding roads i realised it is fast! and sticks to the road like glue, you just have to keep the revs up!

You've got 193bhp & about the same number of lb/ft of torque. That's quite a lot. You just need to familiarise yourself with where to find it. Once you've done that, you'll find it is indeed a pretty swift car.

And another thing. The art of getting from one place to another in a short time is not about how fast you go, it's about how slow you don't go. One of the great things I found about the 2.8Quattro 30V was its ability to carry alot of speed from one bend to the next without losing much in the bends.

I know I keep saying this, but it is important. Get the MAF replaced. Cost you about £100 but you will see your power restored and your economy up. The MAF will show NO SIGN of being faulty, they just gradually get worse with time - especially wtih a K&N style oil filter.

My S4 with just 30k on the clock had its MAF under reading by 15-20%. I never repalced the MAF on my 2.8, wish I had now... I did try cleaning it but that didnt help. It would be the first thing I would do now with any Audi with a MAF.

Is the MAF the thing stuck in the top of the air box???

Can you get a new MAF from anywhere or is it a dealer job? What do people recommend?

I will change the MAF - the car definately has more to offer than its currnt performance. Is it an easy swap? is VAG com involved?