pressure test and surging

mac1403

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on making a pressure tester for checking out airleaks. I found found a split pipe a while ago and also fitted a simota induction kit. Prior to this I was having a slight surging issue under low revs/high load situations. Changing the pipe and fitting the induction kit nearly totally ellimninated this until a couple of days ago. Suddenly my car has started surging even more, instead of surging at 15 odd PSI its surging as low down as 10 PSI. Before anyone says it, I have already changed the MAF and fitted a N75J, so I know they are not the cause. I have also checked out the DV and made sure it is functioning correctly. Hence the orinal question of making some sort of pressure tester just incase there is a leak somewhere........any help would be greatly appreciated due to the fact xmas is coming close....the kids think I have a money tree in the back garden .....and I cannot bear to through cash down the drain by even contemplating the fact that the Audi stealer is going to attempt to check this out whilst his hand is firmly planted in my pocket!

Taken from audizine.com

1.8T: Tennis Ball method for finding boost leaks
"Tennis Ball Method"

Stuff needed:
- Air compressor with hose and air nozzle....pressure gauge on
compressor
- tennis ball
- Screw driver or ratchet to take off the hose clamp
- existing hose clamp (c-clamp) from airbox side of inlet hose
- Something to puncture the tennis ball with (ie. scissors, knife)
- You might also want to take the intake ducting off for more
room to work

Here is a step by step on how I did it:
Take off the big hose that goes out from your air box into the turbo. Cut a small hole on opposite ends of the tennisball, just big enough to get an air hose blower fitting in it...take the tennis ball and jam it in that hose, then clamp it down air tight with the C-clamp. Next, apply 20-30 lbs of air pressure (No more than this) into the tennis ball for short increments of 5-10 seconds on then 5-10 off...do this carefully until the system is charged with air. Make sure you leave the hose fitting air tight on the tennis ball during the whole process so no air gets out that way...listen carefully for leaks, make sure your air compressor is off so you can hear it. If there is a leak you will hear a pssst or "blowing on a grass blade" sound. You can also light a cig (I don't smoke) and hold it over the engine. If any leaks are there it should move the smoke around.

hope this helps mate

Thanks for the help mate. As soon as I get some spare time I will give it a go. I did find out what i think was causing the low boost PSI surging as the DV was all clacked up with gunk and diidn't seem to operate too smoothly. it held pressure but didn't seem right. Anyway cleaned it out and re-greased it and the problem seems to be sorted. I still have a Low RPM/High load surging, but normal driving through the gears is fine. I don'tt know what others get from their remapped cars, but I only seem to hit 15-16 PSI, with the occasional spike. PSI drops off through the revs down to about 10, this is why i would like to do a pressure check of the system

mac1403 said:
Does anyone have any information on making a pressure tester for checking out airleaks. I found found a split pipe a while ago and also fitted a simota induction kit. Prior to this I was having a slight surging issue under low revs/high load situations. Changing the pipe and fitting the induction kit nearly totally ellimninated this until a couple of days ago. Suddenly my car has started surging even more, instead of surging at 15 odd PSI its surging as low down as 10 PSI. Before anyone says it, I have already changed the MAF and fitted a N75J, so I know they are not the cause. I have also checked out the DV and made sure it is functioning correctly. Hence the orinal question of making some sort of pressure tester just incase there is a leak somewhere........any help would be greatly appreciated due to the fact xmas is coming close....the kids think I have a money tree in the back garden .....and I cannot bear to through cash down the drain by even contemplating the fact that the Audi stealer is going to attempt to check this out whilst his hand is firmly planted in my pocket!

vast performance sell a pressure checker