hi some advice please

weeks530bwn

Reaction score
hi.
im thinking of buying an audi.
preferably an A4 1.8T, but maybe a A4 2.4.
Can anyone tell me what theyre like to drive, own, etc.
and which one you prefer.
thanks.

Hi Mate
I myself think the 1.8T is a fantastic engine.There is so much that you can do to it , if you want a bit more oomp down the line.
N/A engines can be a bit weighty and weigh the car down a bit more , but as for the handling I could not help you I am afraid , just my 2p worth on the engine
Sarah

The 2.4 is OK but can't be compared to the 1.8T but if you put the 2.8 30v in to the mix then you will have a better match.

What you need to post up is what you’re looking for and if you plan to tune it.

Bought a 1.8T sport a few months ago, had it chipped and stuck a K&N on it and well chuffed with it.

Have driven a V6, similar performance but a bit smoother with more constant power so you don't have to work the engine quite so hard.

Having the sport pack gives you slightly stiffer and lower suspension and higher sided seats to hold you better when driving enthusiastically which i find more comfortable than the standard seats.

Personal preference i suppose.

If you're looking to modify the car i'd assume it's cheaper and easier to modify a 1.8T than the V6.

all good points,yeah i know the 1.8t is easier to tune, and i would love the sport package one, however they are alot more expensive than the 2.4 or the 2.6.
any idea what those 1.8t do put out after a chip/remap?
i currently drive a e36 320i, 150bhp, but is a little slow.
i am looking for an A4 1.8t,2.4,2.6.
and possibly a quattro 6cyl.
the 1.8t is too much money and insurance at the moment.
thanks, keep the posts coming

The fella that chipped mine reckoned it'd take it up to about 190bhp, haven't had it rolling roaded though. In all honesty i'm not too bothered what some print out says, it feels much better to drive and has improved the fuel economy somewhat. That's all i care about.:)

I thought they were all prety much the same money when i was looking, i think a lot of turbo owners think that their car is worth more though looking at some adverts. Just cos they've spent some money on it they think it should come out of your pocket, whereas the majority of the V6's seem to be owned by more 'mature' drivers and unmodified.

Sorry if i've hurt anyones feelings!!!

ok.
what will the 150bhp 1.8t go up to?
i cant seem to find a decent turb under 2k, whereas the v6 2.4 + 2.6 both around £1500.
what do the A4 handle like, and which is the better car.(out of the ones mentioned)

Mine's a 96 1.8T, picked mine up for £1800. Had 126,000 on the clock but did have a full Audi main dealer service history with stamped up book and reciepts.

Which i thought was about the right money but if you want under a 100k on the clock people add about a grand above what i paid.

That said i don't do much mileage so bigger miles aren'tan issue to me.

Also, in my book bigger miles with history is better than low miles without!

i would like under 100k, but a 100k would be ok for the price you paid.
i do really want a 1.8t, but i can get a 2.4 or 2.6 for alot less.
so i just dont know.

There are two versions the 150bhp which is what you would be looking at with your budget and then the 180bhp which came with the face lift A4's.

With a chip your would be looking at around 190bhp on the 150bhp and 210bhp for the 180bhp A4's

Based on the fact you feel the BMW is slow I would not bother with the 2.4 or the 2.6 as you will be disappointed with the performance.

So based on what your looking for it’s got to be the 1.8T or if you can find one the 2.8 30v (190bhp) and not the 12v.

why do u say the 6 cylcs wont be faster the 2.4 is quicker than the 1.8t isnt it?
the 2.4 has alot more power than my car, and bmw give my car a 0-60 time of 10.2, but its really 9.0, (tho ive timed it less.)
the 1.8t is the speed to 60 of a 323 bmw, which is a hell of alot quicker than my car.
any way, what kind of fuel figuers do the 2.4 and 1.8t average?
and how expensive is the chip for the turb?
thanks

I got mine chipped as a sort of favour and it cost me £200 but you would usually expect to pay upwards of £400. After chipping i get about 30 mpg, before i got about 26mpg.

you averaged 26 mpg in a 1.8T,
how hard were u driving it?
surely they will average more than that,
i read about 35mpg for them.

I don't thrash it everywhere but what's the point in buying a car with a bit of poke if you're not going to enjoy it.;)

At the end of the day if i'd have wanted fuel economy i'd have bought a diesel, but as i said earlier i don't do big miles and it is all through town traffic mainly short journeys and never on motorways so i suppose my figures aren't that typical.

I know what your saying, and i agree, i do the same.
i was just suprised at the figure thas all.
what kinda cars do u think u could race(legally of course),now that uve had it chipped , and how bigger difference is it now?
thanks

Dunno really, not into burn ups off the traffic lights but the difference after the chip seems to be at lot more low end torque which just means you're not changing gear so much round town and the engine is more willing to rev more freely up and above 4500rpm if you do happen to be having a straight line thrash.

In my opinion it's definitely worth having a turbo car chipped, my A4 feels now like that's how Audi should have made it and before it was a bit restricted but you could feel it wanting to give more. If that makes sense??????

In all honesty i'd say try and drive as many as you can to see what you prefer, some people prefer the smooth delivery of power that you'll get with a V6 while others prefer the feel of boost as the turbo comes in.

26 MPG!!!

Gees, i'm getting about 34.4 according to the comp.

I don't drive it hard everywhere but i do put my foot down sometimes.

Might be worth getting it checked, should be doing more than that. :)

Put it this way I do half the fuel I was doing in the 2.8 30v so the 1.8T does mighty fine but as stated you lose that silky smooth feeling that you get from a V6 engine, and no the 2.4 is not quicker than the 1.8T as the 1.8T is a lot lighter. The 2.8 30v is quicker stock but once you chip it the 1.8T will be quicker off the lights, on the motorway the 2.8 will be quicker although the 180bhp with a chip should be able to still beat a stock 2.8 30v all round.

ok,
yeah i have a straight six at the mo, really smooth engine.
so i would like a change , and get the feeling of boost coming in.

i read earlier that the 2.6 has a lsd, is that true?
at what point did front fogs become standard trim?
also what interior equipment should i look out for?
thanks

I've got a 2.4 and i personally would rather have a 1.8t purely because of the range of tuning mods available. With the V6's theres FA you can do but supercharge it, which is stupidly expensive!

The 2.4v6 is quicker than a standard 1.8t (150bhp). it is also bit torquier as standard. But even a stage one tune on a 1.8t would obliterate the 2.4

I like the 2.4 as the power is all there, no turbo spool nothing, and i do a lot of motorway driving. I also love the sound of the V6, they sound extremely nice under load!

As doc said the 2.8 is better comparison to the 1.8t as both come in quattro version, and the 2.8 has just under 200bhp standard, if your not thinking of tuning it. But if you are intending on tuning your car a 1.8t offers you a lot more affordable upgrades than the v6's

Rambling i know sorry :p

IIRC, the 2.6 was carried over from the 80/coupe and then superceded by the 2.4 and 2.8.

ok thanks.
what does recaro come in?
i would like to get the 1.8t, ive always wanted a dump valve, lol.
but if not itl be the 2.4.
tho woudnt a quattro 2.6 be better than a 2.4?
what is involved in a stage 1 tune for the turb?

weeks530bwn said:
tho woudnt a quattro 2.6 be better than a 2.4?
?

No. The 2.6 was a much older design, with iron heads & 12 valves. Max output 150 bhp. Thirsty without being particularly smooth or powerful.

It was replaced circa 1997 (I think) by the 2.4, which had alloy heads, 30 valves and 165 bhp in the B5 models (later increased to 170 bhp for the B6). More power, more performance, more mpg and more smoothness.

The 2.8 12-valver had 170 bhp, but increased to 193 with the upgrade to 30-valves.

Like some of the others have said, you will always be able to modify the 1.8T much more than any of the V6s, and being a turbo, it has a punchy power delivery. On the other hand, the 30-valvers give a gorgeously smooth, and very linear, power delivery, but with higher running costs.

You have to decide which ones suits you best within your price range. To be honest, you can ask all the questions you like, and we can give you opinions all day long, but the only way to decide is to go out there and drive them.

Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.

I own a 2.4 and I've never regretted it. Its quiet, smooth, plenty of torque, the throttle is very responsive. I've also driven a 1.8T (150bhp). A stock 1.8T offers more torque at lower revs than a 2.4 V6. A 1.8T (150bhp) will give you max. torque at 1750rpm as oppose to 3200rpm on a 2.4. For instance you will pick up more speed at lower revs even on higher gears on a 1.8T. This makes it more drivable in town.

1.8T and 2.4 are different machines. Both are good in their own ways but I recommend 1.8T for its modding capabilities.

A chipped 1.8T is not slow on a motorway!! Mine is awesome from 80-120mph, just ask all the standard Golf GTi T drivers, oh and the guy in the IS200 the other morning!
I heard the 2.8 has to be revved, when I can use 5th gear from 50-145mph indicated. Get 100 mph @ 4200 revs and about 35mpg at this speed too, with it reading over 40mpg at a steady 90mph.
What more could you want? In my experience more cylinders is alwayd gonna drain that tank quicker..