frightening

goon

Reaction score
came home on motorway after a night shift and decided to speed test my a4. took it up to 130 and had to back off,the car was not stable at all,was wandering all over the road and the steering was very light as if the air was lifting the car. was not impressed at all,have done greater speeds in other cars( renault 5 turbo,rover 827,vauxhall carlton,audi 90),and not felt as unsafe as this,the car did not feel planted on the road. has anyone else experienced this, or was it maybe the road conditions of that time.

I had the same experience at similar speeds but with worn shocks and springs so i changed them all with another set of OEM's and now it's like a train on tracks. Basically, due to the aerodynamics of the car you will be pressed lower to the ground at high speeds, if the shocks/springs are old you will then experience some wobble, hence the car being all over the place.

Changing the kit does stiffen up the car and allows better handling but i'm not sure why the steering should feel any lighter beyond your average speed.

Rich

i think the problem may have been tyre pressure,they were all a bit wanting especially the rear offside(8psi),will give it another go after nights next week,hoping for over 140,is this optimistic.

hoping for over 140,is this optimistic.[/QUOTE]

You are beginning to frighten me now - how realistic is this achieavable in a non chipped setup?

Rich

goon said:
i think the problem may have been tyre pressure,they were all a bit wanting especially the rear offside(8psi),will give it another go after nights next week,hoping for over 140,is this optimistic.

What car have you got??

its a4 1.8t with superchip remap,k+n cone filter.

bumped into this thread a bit late, was reading through and thinking "rear tyres may be a bit flat" but agree with the worn shocks and arms etc.
Must do mine, but having sorted bushes here and there also irons out that feeling.

mine has the same problem, scares the sh1t out of me at times, am moving to coilovers shortly (need cash!) and have been looking at poly bushing some areas.

easytease said:
i have access to the topgear airstrip (of course) at the other day had to back off at 140 as i was running out of tarmac :(

;)

Even if we DID have access to that strip, most Audis wouldn't get to 140+mph,....................even the Koenigsegg only managed 170mph on the straight :)

i have a 180bhp 1.8t avant with a full milltek and FMIC and it goes to 140.....on that test track obviously.
Based on revs per mph it would be doing 155 before it hit the redline in 5th, never tried though
One thing you may want to check is the bushes, often overlooked and on a 4wd car they can affect handling dramatically. the OEM bushes are very poor and they degrade quite quickly after a some years, mine is a 99 and it has some very soft ones in the back which give a bit of instability at speed.
I have some polybushes to go on if I ever get around to it