AGU engine into A4?

macca

Reaction score
I have a 1998 A4 1.8T, it came originally with a AEB engine, i have since fitted a APU block and head which has after a very short mileage died. i liked the AEB because of the large port head which the APU doesn't have.

However I notice the AGU transverse unit has forged crank, can these blocks and head be used in longitudal formation? i realise that a complete engine with all external components such as turbo charger and manifolds won't work, but i was thinking of using the original AEB components.

Any help will be appreciated.

ps. on the APU the crank sprocket has decided to undo itself by the looks of it., is this a common fault? weird as it wasn't touched when i replaced engine over, but after 25 miles disaster struck.

As already stated, there is no reason they wont fit, with the right manifoldss etc on.I think the only head ache is likely to be connectors on senors IIRC.

Other than that,you get the benifit of a stronger engine,just slightly strangled by the AEB injetion system/ECU

yeah, i swapped all the sensors over onto the apu no probs, the injectors will be upgraded to larger flow, ecu will be remapped, so hopefully i have a plan,.

only difference between long and trans set up is the mounts and the sump.
you can swap any head and block so long as you maintain the right c/r for your application.
So long as you are not switch VVT with Non-VVT (and you can even get around that with some effort) you should be fine

cool, so my aeb head will fit on my apu block?