air bag light

a4quat

Reaction score
mines just come on for no reason at all! how do i get it off? why has it come on?.........:sos:

Yep that would do it or you could get something that might be better long term like VAG-COM

a4quat said:
need laptop first............lol........

I've got Vag.Com but dont have a laptop, just a PC , one or two USB cable extension leads (the type with in-built amplifier) and my Vag.Com-compatible cable......
Manage to stretch the 20 feet or so from car to computer with no problem, lol......

took my car to my mates garage to put up fault codes, the air bag problem comes from drivers side squib. stealers want £500.90, anybody have any ideas of where to get one cheap???????????????????????

a4quat,

What fault code are you getting?
If it is 'High Resistance' then it will be down to the connectors under the drivers seat.

Early A4's do not use gold plated connectors so they are prone to the high resistance fault especially if the drivers seat height is constantly adjusted.

Try using contact cleaner on the connectors and then resetting the airbag light.

If it comes back on again a few days later then it might be an idea to bypass the connector and solder the wires directly.

Cheaper than paying £500!

Regards,
Jim.

the computer came up with the fault on the squib though which is behind steering wheel, not the wiring under the seats!!!

took it to another garage for a second opinion, and theirs come up with the same fault drivers side airbag squib but it actually read drivers SIDE AIRBAG squib, so jiggled the wires under the seat and hey presto no more airbag light!.........

Nice one!
You will find that the light will come back on again in a few Months time, sorry to say!
COntact cleaner will help, however if you bypass the connector and directly solder the wires together the light should never come back on again.
Regards,
Jim.

do i still need to take it to the garage to reset the light if it comes back on?

Only if the light comes back on again before you solder the wires together.
If you do solder the wires make sure you earth the soldering iron to the chassis of the car otherwise you might set the airbag off. Most soldering irons have the option to earth them out.

Think this might be my problem , was streching in chair for change for a toll , and when i looked down my airbag light had came on , i wonder if i have pulled the wires apart? had a look under seat but they apear together , but who knows till i get it on either a VAG com or a proper dignostic machine!