Dash Display

macattax

Reaction score
The display on the dash with a picture of a car only comes up when the boot is open and flashes for the boot on picture but it doesnt do it when a door is open.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Well I couldnt find anything on vagcom that could fix the problem.

Wow, I've had my '98 TS for 6 years and have never seen anything that looks like a car on my DIS - Is this option only on a particular year?

Yeah Rich you should have it too.
I was wondering if having the centraal locking pump replaced has caused the doors not showing as opened on the Heads up display.
But its strange that it does show the boot open!

I'm gonna give it a try when i get in tonight as i was just about to place an order for the remote locking kit from Vagparts - If it is the central locking pump i would rather know before hand prior the installation so as to sort out the problem.

I don't think it would be your pump though Mac unless you totally re arranged the existing wiring.

Well the previous owner kept every single receipt for the car .
When he said full service history he meant it lol!
So one of the receipts was for a new central locking pump so thats what made me think that this could be why the doors are not showing up on the display when they are opened,

My 99 1.8 T Sport has the boot open display but i've never seen it appear for the doors being open.

I wonder if it's an option within vagcom. I've recently had mine programmed so the doors lock when the car is travelling over about 10mph. Thought it was a good idea at the time but it can be a pain in the ar*se.

I havent seen the option in vag com all i saw was a test for the actual display.
Lol my gf thinks the auto lock is a pain in the **** but i keep telling her to wait till i take key out before she opens door but she nagged about that too.
When she opens door before key comes out the backdoors wont auto unlock for the wee fella *** whats so hard to understand about that!

macattax said:
Yeah Rich you should have it too.
I was wondering if having the centraal locking pump replaced has caused the doors not showing as opened on the Heads up display.
But its strange that it does show the boot open!

Macattax, what year is your car and what type of display do you have as i'm sure mine does'nt even show a car not to talk about doors/boot opening.

Cheers - Rich

That probably explains it Mac, mines a 98 which only has the interior lights remaining on when a door is left open.

Cheers

Sorry to resurect an old thread but I'm getting this anyone have a solution?

I never got to the bottom of it its still something that annoys the **** outta me all the same.

macattax said:
I never got to the bottom of it its still something that annoys the **** outta me all the same.

Do you get a seatbelt warning? I'm starting to wonder if someone has messed around with VAG-COM at somepoint and caused this.

I wander if the two are related

I dont get a seat belt warning.
But I did manage to find the seatbelt code for vag com and switched it on but all it did was ligt up a seatbelt warning on the dash when I turned the ignition and then light went off after a few secs even though I didnt have seatbelt on (there was no chime either)
It could be related but I doubt it.

But for the door sensor problem I am led to believe it could be a fuse or (relay?) problem according to my car diagnosis software.

It says there is a fuse for "door open warning lamps controle module" to be found in fascia 3 of the fuse box which is marked as fuse 5.
I dont have a clue what they mean by fascia 3 so I am confused on where that fuse can be located.

The software only gives a schematic of the fuse box so until I find out what fascia 3 means I am stuck!

I've PM'ed AndyMac he might know, he seems to be an Ice/Electrical wizard over in the ice forum.

No help here I'm afraid, mines a 97 model and doesn't have the door open indicator.
Is the fuse not listed in the owners manual?

Just looked and can't see a specific one, it must be a knacked relay somewhere I think maybe the "door warning lights relay" where ever that may bem

Thanks for looking AndyMac

Ok then according to the link you gave Jpc it is relay number 5 .
So where can relay number 5 be found?
This would be a highly possible reason for the open door warning lights not coming on imho.

Well quoting the forum

"
The relay is mounted on the 8-way relay carier, it should be located in luggage compartment, right rear, behind the trim (I think they mean passanger side)"

It looks like he means in the boot, guessing it will be on the passenger side but it may be the drivers side, hopefully it should be marked with a five.

Got to remeber this guy is american so the motor will be left hard drive, but since they move the fusebox to the drivers side in right hand drive cars it would make sense that they do the same for the relays.

Looks like an explore behind the trim in the boot may prove fruitfull, might get a chance this weekend

Well according to my Autotech software "fascia 3" where relay 5 is meant to be is located at the fusebox front driver side?
But it may be wrong, but best of luck and let me know how you get on.

I'm trying to get a copy of ELSAWIN to find out for sure. I'll post the results here

Im a bit confused too as mine is a 98 which has a door warning sensor which only makes a noise when the lights are left on but no graphics on the DIS.

Also, no seatbelt warning of any type - does this sound right chaps ?

Rich

Does the display show up when the boot is open?? If so yes.

All I get is boot but it is supposed to show the doors also which it is not doing.
Also I get the the chime for leaving lights on but not doors open.
As far as seat belt chimes it doesnt come standard on UK models as far as I know this is a US spec but it is available to be turned on by using vag com.
I added the seatbelt warning to the car through vag com but I had very little luck with it.

Somone here must know where Fascia 3 is located in the car ***!!

Is this not refering to the fusebox at the righthand side of the dashboard - sits behind a cover between the dash and the drivers door?

My 99 QS does exactly the same thing - only the boot brings up the display on the DIS.

Yes, only the Americans need to be told whether their seatbelts are actually on or not. Why on earth would anyone want a chime to tell them?

Lol I know where the fusebox is that isnt what I am looking for although thats where I am sure it should be located.
What we need to know is where is FASCIA 3!
So yes I think its a good idea if it can be switched on somehow with chime.

it's under the dash, remove the knee bolster under the steering wheel, iirc the relay is mounted in the second bank under there. there's one bank that's immediately obvious with a second bank hidden behind, you have to get right under the dash to see it

Now we are getting somewhere!
What does the knee bolster look like?

It's the piece of trim under the steering column, all the relays are behind there

am not bothered about the seatbelt chime just the door thing annoys me thats all.

Just spent ages in elsawin

Got some wiring diagrams and it is meant to be in:

8-point relay carrier:

Position of relays:5 - Door warning lamps control unit

Right so this is supposed to be under the dash, ill try to have a look asap

Ok thats good that you know where it is but how will you know if the relay is broken or not?
Wouldnt you need an exact same relay that you know for sure works?
How do you get the kneeboard off anyway?

I was presuming that you could just swap it temporarily with another relay of the same voltage etc

Then there is this which I found on the central locking wiring diagram :

J452 - Door warning lamps control unit - This must be the relay?

Im gonna be fitting a handsfree kit at somepoint so will have a look at the relay no 5 then.