Changing steering wheel, anybody here done it?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
I've just bought a 3-spoke steering wheel complete with airbag to replace the absolutely horrible 4-spoke one in my '99 A4 SE.
Have read other threads about wheel swaps but am a bit worried about getting the airbag light coming on/ having to reset it as I only have the free version of VAG.Com and am not sure if it can be done with this limited version of the software?
Is there anyone who has done such a wheel swap on here who can give me a few tips?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I swapped the wheel in my 1997 A4, and fitted a 3 spoke sport wheel.

Basically, you start by disconnecting the battery.

Then you leave the car for a while to ensure the energy has discharged from the airbag system.

Then you remove the 2 retaining screws at the rear of the wheel, and remove the airbag.

Then undo the main nut holding the wheel on, and disconnect all wiring.

Re-fit with your new wheel, and reconnect all wiring, and fit the airbag.

Now, very important!

Make sure the ignition key is turned to the ignition on possition before reconnecting the battery terminals. This will ensure the airbag warning light does not come on.

The above worked for me, so good luck:icon_thumright:

Donald_MacIver said:
I swapped the wheel in my 1997 A4, and fitted a 3 spoke sport wheel.

Basically, you start by disconnecting the battery.

Then you leave the car for a while to ensure the energy has discharged from the airbag system.

Then you remove the 2 retaining screws at the rear of the wheel, and remove the airbag.

Then undo the main nut holding the wheel on, and disconnect all wiring.

Re-fit with your new wheel, and reconnect all wiring, and fit the airbag.

Now, very important!

Make sure the ignition key is turned to the ignition on possition before reconnecting the battery terminals. This will ensure the airbag warning light does not come on.

The above worked for me, so good luck:icon_thumright:

Thats brilliant, just the info I needed!

Thanks very much!

Paul

Yup, pretty much as above, but to add, what ever you do, DO NOT turn the ignition on with the airbag disconnected,(or battery connected) that will cause you to have the airbag light.

I didn't disconnect the battery, not needed.
Airbags don't go off when parked cars get hit.
So long as you do not have the ignition keey in when you are doing it you will not set it off.
I swapped mine, (fairly straightforward, you may need a splined key instead of a socket to get the column nut off, depending on your car)
make sure all connectors are clean and dry. refitted.
no airbag light.

when i did my course years ago i defo remember being told to disconnect the battery and wait for 30 mins

and make sure you put the airbag is a safe place and handle with care i put mine under the car while i was working on my dash just incase she blows

Well, job is done, and relatively easy it was too, disconnected negative battery lead and left car for about 30 mins.....
Undid airbag securing screws (torx T30 bit needed) and once it was out of the way undid the main steering wheel securing bolt (12mm splined bit needed here), simply swapped wheels over and bolted everything back together.
Made sure key was in ignition and in the 'on' position and re-connected -ve lead of battery, all was well and more importantly no airbag warning light error!