Amber rear lights

mcleodbz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've just joined the forum, and this is my first post.

I recently bought a 96 A4 1.8T Sport. Great car but the one thing that dates it is the amber rear lights. I have sourced a pair of red lights from the 97/98 model, but the bulb holders are different. Is it just a matter of fitting the bulb holders from a 97 model to get them to work?

Thanks,
Barry

I would assume so. Do you know any one else that has an A4 with the newer style lights then you could test try it using their bulb holders? Even try a local scrappy.

What does the socket that plugs into the bulb holder look like? I could check the shape of them against my car to see if they are the same. That would only garauntee that they would fit into the socket not how they would light up.

What is the current set up for the lights in terms of what lights up and where? I am sure there are 4 sections all may not be used though. What does the top section light up as, down to the bottom?
I.E.
TOP --> Tail light
MIDDLE TOP --> Fog light
MIDDLE BOTTOM --> Indicator, Reverse light
BOTTOM -->Tail light

-----

Any boys on here around the same area as mcleodbz that could let him try their bulb holders.

I am 90% if you went for 1996 to 98 lights as long as you have the holders it will be fine, if you get the 99 to 01 lights, you will need to swap 2 wires around on each connector

Thanks guys - I think the 96/98 bulb holders will be fine. I will try and get a set of bulb holders from a scrappy to see.

I think the light layout is:
Top - indicator
Middle - brake
Middle bottom - tail
Bottom - reverse light/fog

I did this to my old A4, which was a 1996 N plate. I sourced all red lamps from a 1997 P plate, and together with the bulb holders, it was a straight swap. Makes the car look a couple of years younger too.