Rough Idle now to tranny prob A4 2.8

ad3crk

Reaction score
Recently my car was having a rough idle at stops like i said, now its locking into safe mode while driving in whatever gear is safe mode like 4th gear maybe the gear indicator lights up solid(when normal it just lights up whatever gear it is in, i dont know.. its done this twice now..when the car sits for a while the car resets back to normal (out of safe mode)...im not going to chance it..im going to have the timing belt, tensioner and water pump changed..my car has 81k on it and i dont know when it was last changed although i have a warrenty that i purchased for the car im sure there are loop holes that will leave me screwed if the motor takes a crap..has anyone ever had this problem..this totally sucks..any feedback would be give me a piece of mind..:confused:

Not too sure about your safe mode probem TBH. As for the warranty if it is one you have paid for i can say they arent worth the paper they are written on. They always claim wear and tear as a get out clause. Get the belts done as you suggested.
As for your idle, i have the same problem with my 2.8. I had the codes read and the only fault it found was the temp sensor which was replaced. The performance was improved but idle was still crap. My guess is a dirty throttle body.

Doubt the safe mode issue is anything to do with the timing belt/water pump. Don't think there's any way of monitoring this, mine certainly didn't show any warnings when the pump was seizing up. Hope you get it sorted.

As above what kind of warranty is it. If its one that you got from the dealer when you bought your car then I am sure they should be looking at it for you.