Won't flippin start!

doeboy

Reaction score
My 2.8 (1998) Won't start, it's been unused for one day i tried to start her this morning but she won't have it. It's happend 2/3 times in the past 5 months but started after a 2 or 3 seconds. Now it won't start at all. Surely this isn't simply a spark plug failing? The battery is only 8 months old or so. Other than those 3 times when she's struggled i've had no indication of any problems? It was raining all day yesterday. is dampness an issue? What are the most common causes?

I also have no warning lights showing.

Is she turning over but not firing?
Is she not turning over i.e. completely dead?
Is she starting then dying?
Is she firing a bit but failing to start?

she's turning over but not firing, she's tried and almost caught once or twice then she just turns only.

My 98 2.8 also has starting hang-ups. In the last 3 months the following scenario has occured about 5 times.

Turn engine over, it fires up then dies. It does this anything upto 10 times and then miraculously sires up and runs perfectly. It then starts on the button with no problems for weeks.

Then, randomnly, it happens again.

:wtf:

johnie72 said:
Turn engine over, it fires up then dies. It does this anything upto 10 times and then miraculously sires up and runs perfectly. It then starts on the button with no problems for weeks.

:wtf:

My mechanic said try it 10 times, something to do with some form of reset. Hasn't worked for me.

As for a key flashing on the dash, nothing out of the ordinary is showing.

mawhitey said:
is the little key on the dash flashing?

Sounds like Immo fault m8 very quick and easy to see!

Good way to test is put the key in the ignition and turn it on but don't start it, wait to see if the Immo light goes out(little yellow key) if it dose try and start if it flashes then that is were the problem is.

Ok, if the light is flashing have you got another key to try..maybe a key fault?
If not try moving the steering column up and down, might be th reader coil wire and in moving the coulmn about can move the wire...I helped Tracer with this fault a while ago..search the threads about it..

If not you may have a coolant temp sender fault, test with VAG-COM

good luck and let us know

Most likely the reader coil as this is a common fault on the B5 A4. My 2.8Q had a spate of this last year then just as I was getting the info on here on how to fix it it hasn't done it since. It's not a faulty reader coil just an intermittant break in the wiring, probably caused by the steering wheel adjustment being used a lot over time. Do you share the car with your other half? i.e. constantly readjusting the steering wheel height.

As to Doeboy's problem could be any number of things.
Electrical, fuel, cold start sensor.
Definately not battery/alternator/immobiliser/starter motor.
Cold start sensor would be my bet, this should show up as a fault on VAGCOM.
Try using Optimax (or whatever it's called these days). My A4 doesn't like supermarket fuel at all - starting probs, running hesitancy etc.
Also won't start reliably if the fuel is low (less than quarter full). I think the fuel pump is a bit shagged and needs the extra gravitational uumph of a full tank.

My oils fine and all my tyres are flat :)

I use only premium fuel (incidently, i only use Shell V fuel now, 99 octane its much better than 97 you can really real the responsiveness and i swear it's go faster effects are genuine too. )

I did adjust the steering column on the day this happened.

So for we've found that the car was standing still on a rainy day the whole day, which doesn't happen often, and i moved the steering column either the day before or the day before that.

I've just checked she almost starts...almost! key on dash goes off as normal. Moved steering column a few times and still same problem. I'll just leave it to my mechanic on monday.

Yes it won't be the steering column as this relates to the immobiliser issue, where the car starts then dies immediately.

Thats exactly the same problem to what happends to my bros skoda octavia vrs its getting booked into the local skoda garage for next week. see what the faults are. its been at skoda for 3 weeks now due to them being busy.

Solved at the cost for £30 for my mechanic's time. Something in the fuel! Seriously odd though. He took the fuel cap off and gave me a sniff, smelt faintly of chip fat. He took a sample and there's a white residue that sinks to the bottom. Somehow it had clogged and stopped fuel passing to the engine.

Whatever it is, it's either got into the tank via the previous owner or via the petrol pumps. Perhaps some idiot tanker driver stuck diesel in the reservoir at the garage, which was then flushed. Who knows!