Thinking of selling but...

JayB5UK

Reaction score
I don't know whether I should put back to standard or not.

The car isn't very heavily modified, I bought it Revo'd, fitted a Bailey DV30, panel filter (will leave that in) and have recently stuck a 2nd hand Milltek exhaust and de-cat pipe on.

Basically, I still have the cat and when I bought the car last year, was given another ECU by the guy. So I have to decide whether to sell it as it is, or take off the de-cat and ECU and offer these on here on ebay.

I am more asking as to whether selling the parts would be more financially viable - and also I spose the value of a standard car over re-mapped, as some people don't quite understand and think that she'll be ready to blow up sooner or later as it's modified! What would be a realistic price if I theoretically sold the ECU. I am not at this stage offering this stuff on here, it is just a question. If I do decide to put it back to standard, I will poffer them in the appropriate place - in the classifieds, but I need some help to make my mind up (as usual!)

So come on guys... What would you do?

Cheers.

A modded car has a lower target audience, De mod and sell seperatly will raise you the most money IMO.

Otherwise you will find the mods my de value it slightly

De-mod as I have had no joy shifting my modified 2.8SC so I'm looking at turning it back to stock and selling of the parts.

Hm, cheers guys, I was thinking it might be better, unless of course I was going to wait a while and find someone like us to buy it!

Seeing as Revo costs £400, do you reckon i'd shift the ECU for like £200 or so? Say on here, or ebay - thing is I have no actual proof as the previous owner did it!

I don't understand the selling the ecu bit ? Is it physically chipped or odb remapped. I don't think you can easily swap mapped ecu's between cars ?

JayB5UK said:
Hm, cheers guys, I was thinking it might be better, unless of course I was going to wait a while and find someone like us to buy it!

Seeing as Revo costs £400, do you reckon i'd shift the ECU for like £200 or so? Say on here, or ebay - thing is I have no actual proof as the previous owner did it!
Hard to say with no proof to be honest, and you would need a replacement to put back in the car, sawp it out with someone plus a few quid would probably help, or leave it in and say nothing ( not a good idea)

Everyone that i know who is into modded motors likes doing the mods themselves.

Where's the fun in buying a car that's already had all the fun stuff done to it???

You've got nowhere else to go! :undwech:

I sold my car modded and got what I thought was a good price over the 'stock' price. It all depends on whether someone likes what you have done.
I have just bought a modified S4 and would have no hesitation buying another modded car as normally they have been very well cared for.

auroan said:
I don't understand the selling the ecu bit ? Is it physically chipped or odb remapped. I don't think you can easily swap mapped ecu's between cars ?

As I understand if it's been re-mapped putting another ECU in instead will put it back to standard.

mawhitey said:
Hard to say with no proof to be honest, and you would need a replacement to put back in the car, sawp it out with someone plus a few quid would probably help, or leave it in and say nothing ( not a good idea)

I have a replacement, was given it when I bought the car.

smitch said:
Everyone that i know who is into modded motors likes doing the mods themselves.

Where's the fun in buying a car that's already had all the fun stuff done to it???

You've got nowhere else to go! :undwech:

Well I dunno, it's not got anything you can really see done to it, i've changed the wheels and bought it re-mapped already, it's a good place to start saving a lot of cash - it's got about a grand's worth with the re-map, Milltek and de-cat, compared to starting with a standard car. I saw one on ebay, pre face-lift and with higher miles and was almost up to £4k, which is about what i'm after for it.
Why are things so difficult! If I didn't want another bike i would probably keep it anyway, but it is kind of wasted doing only 20 miles a day 95% of the time.

madkebab said:
I sold my car modded and got what I thought was a good price over the 'stock' price. It all depends on whether someone likes what you have done.
I have just bought a modified S4 and would have no hesitation buying another modded car as normally they have been very well cared for.

My mate bought it!!!

He's well chuffed with it. :o.k:

Mind you, he's too lazy to do all the bits himself......

Im in the same situation as well. ive decided to keep it how it is. only mods are the chip from jabba sport, apex springs, 18" rs6z n a bmc air filter which ive taken out put my old pipercross one in as per what doc said the oil may cause more harm to maf gunno dash in a standard one. the place where im getting my s4 will part ex but they want me to get the chip taken out. need to phone jabba and sort it out! gunno miss my tdi!

smitch said:
My mate bought it!!!

He's well chuffed with it. :o.k:

Mind you, he's too lazy to do all the bits himself......

Ahh your the guy who sells the motorhomes then!!!

Glad he is enjoying the car, I was sad to see it go and was tempted to call Russ and ask if I could swop the wheels as they would look great on my S4. He got a bargain for what I spent on it and it really is an eye catcher.

Hope he is treating it right????

Im looking for a b5 1.8t at the mo, how much would you want for it as it is and how much standard? roughly. Also do you have any pics?

Randomjim said:
Im looking for a b5 1.8t at the mo, how much would you want for it as it is and how much standard? roughly. Also do you have any pics?

pm on way...

madkebab said:
Ahh your the guy who sells the motorhomes then!!!

Glad he is enjoying the car, I was sad to see it go and was tempted to call Russ and ask if I could swop the wheels as they would look great on my S4. He got a bargain for what I spent on it and it really is an eye catcher.

Hope he is treating it right????

He's treating it right.

It's definitely an eye catcher, i think the german plates really finish it off.

When he lent it to me though the starter motor decided to engage itself while i was driving it and knackered itself! Flywheel survived unscathed fortunately. :yes:

Those 19's have seen a few parking encounters though now i think, i'm sure there's a few marks on em that weren't there originally!