What do you think its worth?

Hugh_Jardon

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been surfing these forums for a while now and find them a great source of information. Hello to all.

I am looking to get a B5 A4 but have quite a limited budget. I am probably after a high miler that is in good nick.

I have seen one on ebay and am probably going to take a look at it. I have an A4 buyers guide so I know what to look out for.

It looks in nice condition from the photos. If all is well, what sort of price I shoud offer for it?

Heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-1-8-Turbo-Sport-1-8T-Very-nice-car_W0QQitemZ140035911728QQihZ004QQcategoryZ9835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It seems to be the current pick of the bunch in my area.

Cheers,

Hugh.

looks like a nice example, but as with any car, make sure its been serviced regulary etc etc hpi and it should be fine :)

Thanks for the reply. I email the seller already about that. There is a full service history, I think it is main dealer til 100k then independants after that. He has the original service book with all stamps from new.

Whats is the car worth though? I want to make an offer I just have no idea what to start at.

There are A4's on there for like £1000, on the other hand there is an S reg A4 that looks worse off than this one, with 90k and the guy wants £3850 for it...

Used vehicle's are only worth what you want to pay for them, personally i wouln't pay anymore than £2500 for it. The guy's obviously spent some money on it and it is a nice looking car, but aren't they all in the photos! Ultimately, if you're gonna uprate the suspension to coilovers, put big wheels onto and chip a car anyway then you'll save yourself some money. You'd expect to pay about £1800 without the extras and they've probably cost the same again, but it doesn't mean that's what you should pay for it. People always have an over inflated value of their modified vehicles cos they'e usually got a bit of an emotional attachment to them, a dealer would offer no more, maybe less for a modified vehicle. That said if you like it and think it's worth £3850 then go for it.....

smitch said:
Used vehicle's are only worth what you want to pay for them, personally i wouln't pay anymore than £2500 for it. The guy's obviously spent some money on it and it is a nice looking car, but aren't they all in the photos! Ultimately, if you're gonna uprate the suspension to coilovers, put big wheels onto and chip a car anyway then you'll save yourself some money. You'd expect to pay about £1800 without the extras and they've probably cost the same again, but it doesn't mean that's what you should pay for it. People always have an over inflated value of their modified vehicles cos they'e usually got a bit of an emotional attachment to them, a dealer would offer no more, maybe less for a modified vehicle. That said if you like it and think it's worth £3850 then go for it.....

Sorry, I wasnt clear in my previous post. What I meant was there is an S reg A4 with 90k going for £3850. It hasnt got any mods and the paintwork doesnt look as good. This is what threw me a bit. That guy is having a laugh.

I contacted the seller and asked it he would be willing to accept £2500 for it upon the condition of my inspecting it and being content with it's condition. He basically said not at this point. But if he gets no better offers he may be in touch. His reason being that he reckons he could brake the car, sell the wheels, suspension and private plate and probably get nearly £2.5k.

I think the private plate issue may get in the way of the sale.

Anyone got any further ideas?

It's certainly not worth anywhere near £4k, which is effectively what he is looking to get close to.

I sold my old A4 1.8 T with a high mileage of 153k miles, and it was a 1996 N, and it went for £1800. Fair enough, the one you are looking at has less miles, and a big set of wheels, but TBH, its worth £2300 - £2500 max.

Well, the guy has decided to sell without the plate and lower the reserve. I think this is a good move.

It still looks like a lot of car for £2500 are you sure this is all its worth?

Yes definately only worth £2.5k. There are so many examples around these days it's a real buyers market. You only have to have a couple of things go wrong with the car and you could easily spend another £1k putting them right. At that mileage & age there's a high risk that mechanicals other than the engine will need attention, things like power steering, steering rack, climate control (if it has it), turbo, exhaust, brakes etc, so you need to bear this in mind. I run a 97 2.8Q with 145k on the clock and it's starting to show its age (lots of small things starting to go like starter motor, brake hoses, aircon pump, steering pump etc etc), so yes it looks like a bargain but be prepared to have to spend money on it in the next year. Personally I'd go for a slightly younger model that hasn't been modified.

Definitely, if it's been modded already it's almost certainly been wragged.

Why else would you chip a car etc if you didn't have a thirst for more speed???

see mine for sale on here ;) Its the mrs car really so shes done little miles and drives like miss daisy as we have 2 kids!!