A4 Key Question?

Damian s

Reaction score
I have a 1998 A4 1.8T Sport, I have an original Audi key with the car which contains just a small light to illuminate the key lock.

My question is, should my car have a remote key which unlocks the doors etc? or would the key I have be how it was supplied?

Thanks

Damian

should have a remote key, i have the same car, comes with two "flick" remote keys and one standard key with code label on it.

Damian. Is the car English spec or is it an import

English spec car, ex company one owner but I just have a key with a light in it, no remote flick key.

Gutted as I've read about the hassle getting a flick key.

I opened my key and it has a transponder inside it, could i buy a flick key from e-bay and get it programed to the car then just swap the transponder for the immobiliser? what key do I need?

Damian

yep blank key, you should be able to swap your transponder, or get some smart **** to program it for you

OK swapping the transponder seems easy enough, how do I program the key to lock and unlock? Also can I buy any type of key or do I need one on the correct frequency? If so how do I know what frequency I need?

Thanks

Damian

Checked my option codes and theres nothing there about a remote key so does that mean it's not possible on my car?

I have a 97 A4 1.8 T Sport, doesn't come with the remote!
If all else fails you can get a 3rd party kit from Votex, which is very good

Damian s said:
I have a 1998 A4 1.8T Sport, I have an original Audi key with the car which contains just a small light to illuminate the key lock.

My question is, should my car have a remote key which unlocks the doors etc? or would the key I have be how it was supplied?

Thanks

Damian

I've got an Aug 97 Audi Rangelist (so 98 model ) with prices/specs etc and the 1.8T and 1.8T Sport didn't come with remote central locking, only the SE models had this feature.
It was an option at £277.30 when your car was new!

My 96 1.8T sport has remote locking and my mates which is the same year doesn't. There's a little black bubble on the door pillar either side of the car on mine between the back and front doors which must be a reciever. The key's about 4 inches long as well!!!:wtf:

My '97 A4's got the conventional type key with light. I just bought 2x keys from Audi for about £120 inc., then had to have them coded for another £32.50.

My car's got remote c/l but from the dealer fit Conlog alarm, not the key.

Hi, the easy way to check if your 98 A4 can use the remote flick key (which it should) is to check the part number on your central locking pump, which is located in the boot, on the drivers side, under the little side tray just into the rear wing (it is inside a foam shell).

If the suffix on your pump is greater than 'A' (which did not have radio reciever) you will be able to use remote flick keys.

As your car is on a 98, i am pretty sure that it requires a 2 button remote, and not the three button.

Then you need to either take all your keys to Audi and have the transponders swapped, or as i did, canibalise my second main key and swap the transponder capsule from your old style key to your new flip key. (you can also use the blade if you dont want the expense of getting another cut, but it requires reshaping with a small file to match a flip key blade).

Then sync your remote to your car and away you go.

I did this on my 97 A4 TDI SE, which had the same style key as yours. I had to replace my central locking pump with a radio version, any suffix will do, i used an A3 'G' suffix pump on mine (if you change to a pump with another suffix you will need to use VAG-COM to change the soft coding, or the alarm etc wont work).

It is probably easier to buy a 'Remote locking' addon though, + the range on the audi remotes is terrible.

My A4 is a 1997 R reg TDi SE spec, and has remote locking. I have all 3 original keys, 2 of which are remote, and the third is the workshop key. None of the keys are flip keys though.

I had the Votex remote locking interface fitted to my previous A4, a 1996 N reg 1.8T, and it was pretty good, and had better range that the standard Audi remotes on my TDi.

i have a 1.8t sport 1998 and the code doesn't list the remote keys, this was fitted at the dealer as an extra at purchase of car, it has it listed on the original sales reciept, i have a remote key, a standard key and a emergency key.

This may be of interest to those without the remote keys fitted to there cars.

Comfort radio remote maintenance with turn signal control Now with 2 high-quality folding key Suitably on all: AUDI A3/A4/A6/A8 We offer to you here a comfortable radio remote maintenance set in original equipment manufacturer quality. The radio remote maintenance set is delivered according to standard with a pair folding key with sample blanks. Opening and closing the original central bolting device. Turn signals are headed for with opening and reasoning. Range also over 70 meters. Copy surely with 4.3 billion possible code. Vehicle search function. This radio remote maintenance sets new yardsticks in things quality.

Ebay link

This item does look good, i might try one, however i dont think that it operates the alarm.

There is also a pre 97 votex system on the German ebay site.

Does anyone have a pinout diag for the central locking pump (pump's an 8LO-'G'), i have been trying to increase the range on my existing remote, and after prising off the 'C' pillar trim I discovered that there was no ariel behind it. My remote only operates within 3-4 feet of drivers side.

As my 97 A4 TDI SE did not originally have remote locking ('A' suffix pump), is there an antenna in the pump harness?

The setup is the same as 98- cars, nothing under rear seat etc.

Brass - nickel plated with new mounting pin, 2.99 + free postage.

Ebay no: 220035144643

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I bought an 1996 audi tdi (basic spec not se) with just one key (the workshop key (no light)). Having been to audi dealer today to enquire about getting spare key quoted 50 quid for key 50 quid to program key / car + VAT. When i enquired about possibility of central locking he checked my car registration and told me it didnt have remote central locking which i suspected being pre 1998. However checking my codes using the handy link above i find:

8QL = key for locking system with remote control

So who do i beileve the decoder or audi? I think the decoder may be right as it was originally bought as a fleet car so the option of r/c/l could more than likely have been added (also most dealer service desks are wrong from my experience). If that is the case could i get a flick key to work with it or not?

For a '96' A4 check under the rear seat base for the infra-red control box.

If you have one you should be able to use the old style IR remote key.

inigoj said:
Ahh, my mistake, the AH is the pointed VW style blade?

Thats the one. A few people selling flip keys on eBay have pictures showing those blades, but say they are demo only and cannot be cut! Any ideas?

inigoj said:
For a '96' A4 check under the rear seat base for the infra-red control box.

If you have one you should be able to use the old style IR remote key.

Cheers for the quick reply
Is it a small box in the centre of the seat / floorplan?

Right! Got one sorted! As you say was about £11. Also got a new flip key from the states, that was £15! Bargain! There is also a chap selling 3 or 4 (cant remember!) flip remotes, bidding is at about £20 ATM, might be worth someone buying to sell here!

I have bought a few keys from the States and found they use differant frequencies, so unless you decide to replace the receiver it won't work.

Although my experiences are on newer cars A4 2002, Touareg 2005, Golf 2003 and Golf 2006